Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus Wayne

Good evening everyone I have just joined looking for some help its probably  been covered many times before focus mk2.5 2008 1.6 petrol won't start or turn over my cluster is completely dead no flashing immobiliser light either ..I've check all the fuses and all OK everything else seems to work headlights inductors etc but won't start I'm at my wits end any help would be really appreciated 

12 minutes ago, focus Wayne said:

my cluster is completely dead no flashing immobiliser light either

The first thing I'd recommend is use your hand and give the dashboard a good thumping just above the instrument cluster and see if anything changes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unofix said:

The first thing I'd recommend is use your hand and give the dashboard a good thumping just above the instrument cluster and see if anything changes.

and if it does spring into life after a thumping, you'll be needing your instrument cluster repaired - straight forward and a sub £100 repair...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, focus Wayne said:

Good evening everyone I have just joined looking for some help its probably  been covered many times before focus mk2.5 2008 1.6 petrol won't start or turn over my cluster is completely dead no flashing immobiliser light either ..I've check all the fuses and all OK everything else seems to work headlights inductors etc but won't start I'm at my wits end any help would be really appreciated 

Hi welcome

I've hit the dash a few times but nothing still completely dead I've took the cluster out and had it apart and it looks like someone has tried a DIY repair and failed miserably some of the solder aren't even on the pins how it has kept going for this long is beyond me could this be the reason why it is completely dead ? And how would I go about getting it sorted is there a possibility they could have damaged the board completely ? 

7 hours ago, focus Wayne said:

... could this be the reason why it is completely dead ? ...

Yes, impossible to know if board is damaged before you let a professional repair it for you. Just 'Ebay', Ford Focus instrument cluster repair - loads of options, including a member on here who does it, but I can't find his name just now!

@rd457 is who you are looking for 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, StephenFord said:

including a member on here who does it, but I can't find his name just now!

What, how dare you forget my name :whip: 😄

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, focus Wayne said:

I've hit the dash a few times but nothing still completely dead I've took the cluster out and had it apart and it looks like someone has tried a DIY repair and failed miserably some of the solder aren't even on the pins how it has kept going for this long is beyond me could this be the reason why it is completely dead ? And how would I go about getting it sorted is there a possibility they could have damaged the board completely ? 

Send it to me, here's my service: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314393033915

Most repair services won't accept anything already worked on by someone else, but I don't mind. I'll see what I can do. I have sorted out some horrible DIY messes before. In one case there was a whole mass of solder joining all of the pins together. I don't know what on earth they were thinking on that one. 🙃 Obviously I can't promise anything since for all we know the bad soldering could have damaged components, but hopefully it'll work just fine with proper soldering.

Do you want to post a pic so the members can see what we're dealing with here?

• Like 2

OK I will post a picture when I'm home I'm pritty desperate for the repair to be done I'm back to work Monday and have no car now is there a possible option I could bring it to u personally? Is it something that can be done quickly 

34 minutes ago, focus Wayne said:

OK I will post a picture when I'm home I'm pritty desperate for the repair to be done I'm back to work Monday and have no car now is there a possible option I could bring it to u personally? Is it something that can be done quickly 

No real advantage of bringing it personally, it's a relatively quick repair, 1 to 2 hours. So, 1st class shipping there, and next day return...

Yes I get that but being the weekend and not being able to get it back by Sunday surely taking it and going off for a couple of hours whilst repair is being done ? Would make more sense 

46 minutes ago, focus Wayne said:

Yes I get that but being the weekend and not being able to get it back by Sunday surely taking it and going off for a couple of hours whilst repair is being done ? Would make more sense 

It's his weekend too you know 🤣

• Haha 1

Yeah I get that 🤣 this what the soldering has been done 

20240531_123435.jpg

• Sad 2

OMG, that looks like I soldered it lol  (I can't solder!!)

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, focus Wayne said:

this what the soldering has been done 

Oh !!!

• Haha 1

Now, on a positive note, I'm pretty sure if you get it professionally repaired (details as above), that should solve your issues...

29 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Now, on a positive note,

but it will cost more in excess postage with the weight of all that solder 🤣

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, focus Wayne said:

Okay, I guess you could. It's rather a long way to drive though, we're talking around 120 miles taking the best part of 3 hours, one way. There's no way you'd have it back in time via the post though, at least not with the normal Royal Mail services I'm familiar with. Maybe there's some expensive priority service that could get it here and back super fast? Have you considered using a hire car service temporarily, or the likes of taxis/uber/buses?

You need to prepare yourself for the possibility that the repair won't work though, should the bad repair have caused damage to other components (which would be rather impractical to find and fix). In such a scenario you'd need to find yourself a replacement unit from eBay, importantly one with a lower mileage than your current one, you'd then either need to send both to a 'cloning' service, or try to clone and set the mileage yourself with ForScan if you happen to have a Windows laptop, which would also require you to purchase a suitable cable and the extended ForScan license. The replacement unit also most likely would not have had the solder joints fixed so you'd want that doing at some point.

5 hours ago, focus Wayne said:

Yeah I get that 🤣 this what the soldering has been done 

20240531_123435.jpg

Okay. Too difficult to say from that whether it's just cosmetic, or whether there are shorts or burnt traces. The black bits could just be burnt flux but I've had a case where traces were burnt away before.

If it's just cosmetic then it won't take much longer than my typical 1-2 hours. If there's trace damage though then that can be very fiddly to fix with very tiny strands of wire and could add hours to the job, in which case I may ask for a small extra payment. I've had a handful of complicated jobs taking up to about 12 hours and I've started asking for an extra £60 in such cases towards all the extra time. I wouldn't expect this would take quite as long thus I wouldn't ask for quite as much extra if it came to it, you could maybe just throw me an extra £20 or something.

• Thanks 1

Yes I have forscan but not the extended licence I also have a 1.6 tdci instrument cluster could this be cloned to the one I have now I've put a picture on with what codes forscan has come up with anymore in sight would be great 

20240601_133646.jpg

Okay, cool.

Most of those codes are classic symptoms of the cracked solder joint problem. I'm not certain what this tells us in terms of the situation with the bad soldering. I'm curious what that 'IC - error' entry says.

I don't have any experience with cloning myself, but I believe that you can indeed clone to it and this should configure it for use in a petrol vehicle along with copying across any vehicle specific settings. I don't recall noticing any difference in fitted LEDs in these units and I'm sure the firmware will be the same, besides minor version differences perhaps, so it should almost certain work. I'd suggest making a backup of the tdci config just in case you ever wish to configure it back.

I believe you'd also have to go through set things up regarding your keys (PATS). I'm no expert on how, not having had to ever do this, but you'd either do it through forscan or just with yours keys and the vehicle. Someone else here like unofix will be able to instruct you, or I'm sure we could find plenty of old threads here on the forum talking about it.

If it has lower mileage than your current one then you'd have the option of bumping this up to match and just using this replacement unit from now on, though it may likely itself need the cluster joints worked on at some point, and you'd have the freedom of whether or not to bother sending me the original to repair. Otherwise, you can send me the original to see what I can do, in the meantime keeping track of how much you increase the mileage by on the replacement, and then later, presuming my repair has worked, bump the mileage on it accordingly (to make a best effort of keeping it as accurate as possible, as required by law), and optionally restore the original config of the tdci one.

That would be a much better option than a long costly drive all the way up here.

Edit: Rethinking on what I just wrote, of course cloning the original config onto the replacement unit requires being able to actually access it. Given the errors that may be problematic of course. But, I expect that for the most part the diesel unit will just work without cloning the config, you'll just have some oddities like the glowplug light possibly illuminating. The most important thing will simply be getting the keys programmed to setup the security system on that unit.

4 hours ago, focus Wayne said:

Yes I have forscan but not the extended licence

Do you have Two genuine fully working Ford keys for your car ?

If so then let the fun and games begin !!

• Like 1

Unofix no I don't have 2 keys I only have the 1 so can I just plug the diesel cluster in and it should work if the key is programmed to the cluster I'm not very technical on any or that sort of stuff ...

Rd I'm not to bothered about reconfigure the tdci cluster the car is dead anyway needs a new engine so won't be doing that it sorely for spares now .sending the original cluster to u is an option 

3 hours ago, focus Wayne said:

I only have the 1 so can I just plug the diesel cluster in and it should work if the key is programmed to the cluster I'm not very technical on any or that sort of stuff ...

Sadly you need two working Ford keys.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, focus Wayne said:

Unofix no I don't have 2 keys I only have the 1 so can I just plug the diesel cluster in and it should work if the key is programmed to the cluster I'm not very technical on any or that sort of stuff ...

Rd I'm not to bothered about reconfigure the tdci cluster the car is dead anyway needs a new engine so won't be doing that it sorely for spares now .sending the original cluster to u is an option 

Okay. So option 1 is to post the original cluster to me, and we'd have to cross our fingers that it works out (it most likely will). The absolute quickest turnaround would be for it to be back on Wednesday. I'd need to tell you where to post it after purchasing my service and given I keep missing you when you're online, I can foresee you not posting until Tuesday. Additionally I can only get it back in the post the same day it arrives if it happens to arrive early enough in the day and I can complete the work in time (best chance is if you use Royal Mail Special Delivery), otherwise I'd have to post back the next day.

Edit: Scratched out that bit above, you're online right now as I post this.

Bringing it to me we could get it done faster, but it would cost you a lot in fuel.

Option 2, swapping in the other cluster at least temporarily. For this it seems you need two (unique) keys to complete the setup process (plus the ForScan extended license) and you only have one, thus you'd need to purchase a suitable second key from somewhere. I'm sure you can get them from eBay, in which case there's postage delays. Direct from Ford would probably be too expensive. I don't know for certain whether or not you could get a suitable one from the likes of Timpsons. A blank new key may need to be cut to the correct pattern by a locksmith before it can turn in the ignition. With a second key in hand and the extended ForScan license, you'd then have to use ForScan to go through a process of erasing existing key data, programming both keys, and module initialisation (synchronising all modules with the new key data).

Alternatively you could perhaps hire a mobile auto-locksmith who may be able to sell you a new key and do all of this for you.

Note that the likes of Timpsons or a mobile service may offer to 'clone' your original key to a second (copying the built-in digital key ID). You do not want to do this, you want the physical pattern part to be the same for the physical locks, but the digital ID needs to be unique so the vehicle sees them as two different keys.

--

I'll also take this opportunity to bring to everyone else's attention the fact that you've mentioned to me in reply to a PM I sent that there also seems to be a power supply issue, that you believe no power is being delivered at the IC plug, and you've checked all fuses in both fuse boxes.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club