Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.6 Cl Estate Cluster Problem??? Help!!

greekford

Hi guys,

I have a Ford Focus 1.6 CL '51 reg Estate the battery was flat for about 2 weeks.

I have a client coming to see the car this wednesday and possibly buy it. So I said better to plug in the charger and give a charge to the battery to start it up.

Charged it enough ... started the engine, I then noticed that the mileage display was showing all 88888888, then the engine temp gauge not coming up at all.

Everything else seems to be working OK in the car.

I disconnected the negative from the battery and reconnected, started the engine again ... and now the display has gonne blank and the engine temp gauge is still not coming up.

Has anyone come across similar problem with their Focus.

I plugged in my OBDII Reader and it gives out readings for Engine coolant temp etc ... so I assume the sensors are fine ..

Probably needs a new battery, seems to be low voltage output which can cause these symptoms (although I would have expected to see a code there for low voltage). Even charging a fully flat battery is not guaranteed to get it working, I think the average lifespan is about 5 years for a standard battery that comes with the car.

I would suggest borrow a friends and see what the results are, but that is where my money is!

Might be too much, however Diesel engines need more output, I would check the output of the battery and make sure that it fits into the small compartment on the focus that is set aside. if the ampage, and the volt output is the same it could be a fair bet to say it would be fine!

OK I just realised while I went to move it further back and the dials are not working on the dashboard ... the only is working is the petrol gauge (although this is working even if the car is off.) all the lights come up as normal. Just the dials not working and the mileage/trip LCD display.

If your having issues with the instrument cluster you could find that you are part of the all illusive club! many on here have had the issue. if the fuel gauge remains stuck when you have the engine off, you may need to replace the instrument cluster.

If your having issues with the instrument cluster you could find that you are part of the all illusive club! many on here have had the issue. if the fuel gauge remains stuck when you have the engine off, you may need to replace the instrument cluster.

silver calcium battery is what you need

silver calcium battery is what you need

How would a battery a help? what like the one we put in our watches? is there any How to for that?

Replacing the cars battery is easy enough to do (although its slightly tricky due to the little plastic comparentment it hides in. (this is for a 55 plate but I dont think theres a difference!)

1) Buy a new battery from anywhere, my last one was from Halfords.

2) Pop the Bonnet

3) Top right hand corner, you have a little plastic box, remove the lid

4) loosen off with a 10mm socket the the little nut that is next to the positive element, once loosened off (dont remove fully) use an insilated screwdriver to levy off the positive cable and move the terminal as far as away from the electrode as possible (Make sure you are removing the positive!)

5) continue to do the same with the negative electrode (slightly more tricky as this is hiding at the other side, slightly under the sill under the window.

6) once removed, take out the battery by using the handy little handles (you may have to part the little plastic box, this just "clips" together the two sides of the Shell

7) Replace the battery with the standard, or silver calcium battery

8) Re-attach the Negative terminal first (following step 4 in reverse) Also ensure you apply a generous amount of Copper Grease to the cable and the batteries terminals!)

9) Re-attach the Postive terminal second, (following step 4 in reverse) (following step 4 in reverse) Also ensure you apply a generous amount of Copper Grease to the cable and the batteries terminals!)

10) Push the plastic sides together, and clip them back into place.

11) replace the plastic lid and clip back into place!

If you cant immediately get the clips back together, try shuffling the battery to the side, and get it more central (this bit is the biggest nuisance!)

It can be easy, just make sure you dont want to already kick your car, as if you do, you probably will!

Oh lol ... I thought it was a battery that goes in the cluster ... daft me :)

Thank you guys will give it a go by tomorrow morning for sure

Oh lol ... I thought it was a battery that goes in the cluster ... daft me :)

Thank you guys will give it a go by tomorrow morning for sure

having anincorrect battery ie non calcium silver can cause many of youre symptoms it must be silver calcium or lead calcium battery the scs smart charge system has a sensor in it when a non scs battery is used the sensor detects this and causes all sorts of electrical gremlins it can even make the car stall i would do this before changing the cluster

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club