Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Views On Getting Rid Of Spare Tyre

fiesta_lad

Hi all with petrol prices going through the roof iam thinking of may ways to save money has well has fuel. iam thinking of takeing of the spare wheel from underneath the car to reduce abit of weight and just carry round a can of that tyre foam stuff. now iam thinking of trying this for a few weeks to see how much i will save but i want to know what are peoples views on this keep the spare tyre on the car or buy a can of tyre foam.

Well in my opinion I'd think the foam stuff would be sufficient but it totally depends how far away from home you are planning on going, as for example if you have a blowout 200miles from home or even like 50miles the towing costs would far offset the savings from petrol.

And the tyre doesn't weigh very much so to be honest I doubt the saving would be substantial

Kris

I doubt very much if it will make any difference at all taking the tyre out, as above, they don't weigh that much.

Do you always have a full tank of fuel? If you don't need it, run it half full instead, more weight saving there. Just a thought.

Hi all with petrol prices going through the roof iam thinking of may ways to save money has well has fuel. iam thinking of takeing of the spare wheel from underneath the car to reduce abit of weight and just carry round a can of that tyre foam stuff. now iam thinking of trying this for a few weeks to see how much i will save but i want to know what are peoples views on this keep the spare tyre on the car or buy a can of tyre foam.

Honestly, is this a wind up?

Your car will have a dry weight somewhere in the region of 930-1060 kg. A spare tyre probably weighs about 10 kg, so represents about 1% of the weight of the car. Now, to do some sums:

Assumptions: 42 litre tank, 0.5% increase in mpg, 40 mpg fuel economy as standard, petrol price at 126p/litre

Money saving per full tank: 26.5p

Number of tanks required to pay for a £12 Holts Tyreweld: 46 full tanks

At 40.4 mpg this corresponds to: 17,200 miles

Bottom line? Not worth it unless you have to replace your spare for any reason, as you'll save just £1 for every 700 miles driven.