Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Mpg

mikey-north

Don't tell me you 'Can't get the MPG the brochure says!'

Yes, what you need to understand, is that the basic weight of the fiesta minus the engine is pretty much the same, so the smaller the engine, the more work it has to do to shift the weight, than the bigger engines.

yeah...me wifes old clio 1.2...low millage, well service barely managed 30mpg...me mates FRP 1.7 180bhp rally car can do 40mpg!!! :blink:

and an old club i was in had a evo powered colt that happily did 35mpg on a run...power/torque to weight ratio was off the chart :lol:

PS brochure MPG...always look at the worst case and that will be what you get..if ya lucky...my tdci should be 73/74mpg...never ever as hard as I have tried on a 2 hour journey with all the skill and training of eco driving could I get near it...62.8mpg was the best I got.

Ah, a topic very rarely discussed, may keep my eye on this one.

Do I detect the slightest hint of sarcasm :lol:

Going to dig it back up!

Try resetting the mpg. I left home this morning on 32.9 (been playing) and after about 8 miles I'd got to 34.6, so I reset and in the next 4 miles it went up, now sat at work on 48.8!

yeah...me wifes old clio 1.2...low millage, well service barely managed 30mpg...me mates FRP 1.7 180bhp rally car can do 40mpg!!! :blink:

and an old club i was in had a evo powered colt that happily did 35mpg on a run...power/torque to weight ratio was off the chart :lol:

PS brochure MPG...always look at the worst case and that will be what you get..if ya lucky...my tdci should be 73/74mpg...never ever as hard as I have tried on a 2 hour journey with all the skill and training of eco driving could I get near it...62.8mpg was the best I got.

Thats surprising since mine regularly averages 70mpg, driving with flow of traffic.

I'm usually quite surprised that driving instructors get such good economy out of their cars. Aren't you sitting there not moving with the engine running 10 minutes out of every hour? That's how my instructor seemed to do it anyway.

My Mk 7 1.6 diesel did 55 - 60 mpg which pleased me, even though Ford claim 67 mpg. My 1.4 petrol auto is only doing 31 mpg at the moment, Ford claim 42 mpg. Seems to be a trend here.

This is how they reach the official figures....nothing like your driving conditions I bet...!

The car manufacturers provide some test figures for new cars when they go on sale. You can find yours on www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk and they quote these figures:

Urban fuel consumption (mpg) (cold) defined as: The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20oC to 30oC on a rolling road from a cold start, i.e. the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. Maximum speed is 31mph (50 km/h), average speed 12 mph (19 km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4 km).

Extra-urban fuel consumption (mpg) defined as: The extra-urban cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations and some idling. Maximum speed is 75mph (120 km/h), average speed is 39mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km).

Combined fuel consumption (mpg) defined as: The combined figure presented is for the urban and the extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two other parts of the fuel consumption test, Urban and Extra-urban cycles, weighted by the distance covered in each part.

The chances of us ever getting official figures look bleak.

http://www.savefuels...arsaveintro.htm