Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buckled Alloy.. And Two New Tyres

Zippy

Took the car in today to get a steering wobble looked at, outcome, needs two new tyres, has a buckled alloy, and needs re-balancing etc. Front tyres I suspected needed replacing anyway, but a couple people have said to me, how many miles has your car done, 12K? it's tyres should have lasted longer?? Should they have? It has Continental Contact Sport on it, so I don't know if these are just crappy wearing, or what.

The buckled alloy, they've said isn't too bad, and can be left on the back?! I'm not really for doing this tbh, so I'm looking at having it replacing. But I have slight concerns, as having read other posts on the forum about people with alloy buckles, whether this is infact a Ford fault? I'm not looking to immediately point the finger at Ford, so I just want to know where I stand basically, you people who've had buckles with your Titanium 16" 15 spokes, what did you do, contact Ford? or just bite the bullet and replace yourselves? or submit claims to the local council? though, tbh, that's probably like trying to get blood out a stone.

Thanks for any help offered!

Abbie

My buckled alloy was my own fault hitting a high curb going into a new shopping centre but out of the 11 cars I have owned this is the only one where a wheel has been damaged from contact with something.

i think its fords fault and they know about it because it very funny how them titanium wheels are the only ones they have updated for the new 2011 model , coincedence mmmmmm i think not !!

I hit something hard, buckling a 15-spoke 16'' wheel and the Continental Contact Sport tyre deflated slowly. Both the recovery man sent by the AA and a nearby tyre-fitting firm said the wheel could be hammered back into shape so long as the alloy didn't crack and it would then be safe. The tyre was ruined though. So there is a possible remedy in between doing nothing and replacing a wheel.

Edit: Sorry, that should be Continental Premium Contact 2.

Are these titanium alloys or zetec s or zetec alloys that are getting buckled?

Someone start a vote on the subject.

I've hit a couple of big pot holes in the last 2 months and can't see any visible signs, is it like when you hit 50 to 60 and the steering wheel starts to judder?

Are these titanium alloys or zetec s or zetec alloys that are getting buckled?

Someone start a vote on the subject.

I've hit a couple of big pot holes in the last 2 months and can't see any visible signs, is it like when you hit 50 to 60 and the steering wheel starts to judder?

Titanium alloys. The steering juddered under 30, but seemed to improve slightly above that, at faster speeds.

It would be interesting to start a vote to see how many have had problems!

Hi

I did spend a couple of hours doing some looking round on the Internet regarding alloys being bent and came up with a post (it was #60) that seems to have killed a previous thread specifically about the apparent weakness of alloy wheels on the Mark 7. Might be worth perusing that to see what your options are.

Good luck!

Savcom

Hi Abbie / Zippy,

Re. the tyre wear. I have a 1.6 petrol Titanium with 11,000 miles on the clock & the front tyres - Continentals - are only around 50% worn. I see that you have the diesel - cars with diesel engines will wear out the front tyres more quickly than petrol engined vehicles, this is because diesel engines are significantly heavier hence more weight / wear on the front.

I buckled one of mine in a pot hole with in a month, but since changing to the 17"s I had no problems, until a blow out just before christmas, which, I hindsite I think was my cousins fault!

We were going along the A1, and washers had frozen, it was dark, and window wouldn't clear, I tried to get into some services, but I missed, and my cousin said 'over there', so nothing coming I went across the road, but there was a bit in the middle, big concrete middle bit that I flew over, with a bump and a crash. everything fine to peterborough services, then back northwards, when there seemed to be something in the road as it hit the underside of the car, and tyre went completely!!

big concrete middle bit that I flew over, with a bump and a crash.

This is in the car you've now sold eh? :P

Yep ;) but not the reason, was in progress before the incident, and the trade in was done on the 17" alloys, went in the the 16"s back on, main thing is I now have 3 spare wheels, and 2 of the tyres are ok, and a bent one, which straightened could provide a new wheel!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club