Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 Engine Repair!!

bromi1

Basically I was just wondering if there's any ford genius' out there that could lead me in the right way!

My 1.4 petrol engine siezed due to running empty on oil (stupid of me I know) but if I was to try repairing this myself what parts of the engine am I looking at replacing?

great thanks to those who can help :)

urm depends on how long it was run with oil and how hot it got , but in the worse cases i think the engine can actually weld its self together, witch basicly means a new engine.

urm depends on how long it was run with oil and how hot it got , but in the worse cases i think the engine can actually weld its self together, witch basicly means a new engine.

well it was makin a slight knocking noise for about a mile until when I stopped it jus kept cutting out.. when I noticed the engine was completely bone dry I topped up with oil n tried it but it just doesn't turn over! I can get an engine for roughly £400 but what do you reckon in the not so serious circumstances? new crank? cheers!!

I've had this with two fords I've owned:

First time, driving my six month old fiesta down the motorway, a non-British lorry pulled straight into my lane and forced me off the road. I cracked the sump off it from a raised ironworks on the central reservation. My insurance took care of it; even though my car could be started and driven (albeit with lots of smoke and nasty lights on the dash, the diagnosis was a new engine without a doubt as it was seen as the cheaper option.

Again, following a spate of problems with my 2.0 mondeo, I was looking at a rebuild or replacement. By the time I would have spent a whole bunch of cash on a mechanic investigating the issue and repairing it, the cheaper option was still fitting a scrapyard-special.

Frankly, there are tonnes of written-off fords littering the scrap yards of merry old England though £400 sounds a little high; I was being quoted between £100-200 (supply only). Really, by the time you've paid the labour and parts on someone doing an investigation on your lump, you'll have another one fitted and ready to go.

I don't know where your £400 lump is from; if it's a reconditioned or warranted lump of any description, it's not bad at all IMO. Do it, put it down to experience and don't be battling unforeseen problems down the line! I assisted in replacing the engine in a mate's Corsa after we found shavings in the oil and it's really not as daunting as it sounds - I say assisted, he was the guy on the Renault-mechanic apprenticeship, I dabbled between tea maker and brute force. No idea what he paid for the lump, it was a long time ago.

Might as well throw a 1.6 in, don't need to do anything other than swap the lump.

If its ran dry its toast. Replacing the crank would be the least of your worries, the bottom end will need completely rebuilding.

Cheaper to buy a 1.6, throw it in and drive happy.

Well iv seen a few lumps on eBay ranging from £300-£400 1.4-1.6 but I'm dubious bout buying one with people quoting they've only done 28k miles ect... seems to good to be true!! however most come with warranty ranging from 30 days to 12 months!

The obvious choice is to obviously just replace the engine then! surely the gearbox on mine would fit these right? and the manifolds too? Also I don't suppose you would know how I go about finding my engine code?

thanks yet again!

If you can do the work yourself, I'd personally take the risk! £400 on a 28k lump with a warranty has to be worth it, it's less than scrapping yours and replacing it I'd wager! I'd just make sure and get a nice long warranty with it, though.

Also, for the engine code...

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14347

If you can do the work yourself, I'd personally take the risk! £400 on a 28k lump with a warranty has to be worth it, it's less than scrapping yours and replacing it I'd wager! I'd just make sure and get a nice long warranty with it, though.

Also, for the engine code...

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14347

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club