Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide Fitting Cruise Control Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 And Ford C-Max

Pidu

Hi all, New member here and my first Ford 😁

I've got a 2010 1.6 TDCI 110 and almost completed the cruise control retrofit. Everything is done except activation in the PCM.

I have been following the guide posted by @TitaniumPenguin using Elmconfig 2.17. My PCM Type is EDC16C34-5.101

I have a similar problem to @Milosh on page 24 of this thread, in that when I "Write current firmware to PCM", it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I.e, when I go back to the configuration page and select "Read from PCM", "Integrated speed control" unchecks itself. I think I'm effectively writing back exactly the same data I read and that checking "Integrated speed control" made no difference to the data I'm writing back.
Just as with Milosh, I never have any dialogs about VID blocks being non-empty/use current etc etc... it just gets on with it. So it seems like perhaps the VID-block isn't being read, or isn't being modified. However, unlike Milosh, my 'configuration' page does populate with values.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Or know anybody with an IDS in Manchester that will activate it for a reasonable fee? 😊

Another thing I tried was to "Read firmware from PCM to BIN-file", followed by "Load firmware from PHF/HEX/BIN-file", then set "ingegrated speed control" to on, and then "Save firmware to BIN-file". When I compare the original file and the one I saved after checking "integrated speed control", they are binary-equal. 

I finally have it working.

I did so by just going to the "Configuration" page, "Read from PCM", checking the "Integrated speed control" checkbox and "Write to PCM". I was very anxious about doing it this way since I've read about the risks!! (particularly since my backup didn't seem to contain the original VID data)

Just before I did that, I read the firmware from the PCM to file again (this time "Calibration data only" since the full one took 92 mins!), and again once I'd written the new configuration. I then diffed these two files and again, they are binary-equal, which makes me think perhaps the VID-block isn't pulled on this particular PCM when you do a read? I don't know, but it does seem odd.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello dear Fordownersclub.com members,

I would like to ask a question, which has been asked multiple times previously...

Has anybody managed to activate CC on a Ford Focus ST mk2?

I really would like to have cruise control in my ST mk2, and if anybody has new info regarding this topic, please share it with me!
Thank you for your help in advance!

Best regards
w21

• 1 month later...

Anyone retrofitted it to a car without the cables in the GEM connector?

Admittedly i ordered everything before checking, managed to active speed control in the GEM and IC with Forscan, fitted everything it didn't work.

I then checked this post and low and behold I don't have the two cables mentioned, I just assumed I would on a 07 Titanium. I do have the D version of the GEM.

Was thinking of maybe running the cables myself to the connector blocks?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OP. Thanks for taking the time to put up such great information. 

So I have a 2013 Grand cmax.  I believe I have a D Gem BCM. Mine end DV or DU. 

IMG_20200808_194103.thumb.jpg.92b82f59aa94386d618b3cb52d807d61.jpg

However I only have 1 blue brake pedal switch. Did they simplify this on later models and have just one switch. 

IMG_20200808_183841.thumb.jpg.e6377259b1a9d256c9f52d99ddaf1876.jpg

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, m50e30 said:

Any original programmers still here?

ELMConfig programmers?  I hope your Russian is good if that's who you're after... :biggrin: 

I fitted cruise to mine back in 2014 and have subsequently done quite a few others if there's anything you want to know about the actual fitting though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

ELMConfig programmers?  I hope your Russian is good if that's who you're after... :biggrin: 

I fitted cruise to mine back in 2014 and have subsequently done quite a few others if there's anything you want to know about the actual fitting though.

Yeah. I need my cruise control coded please. Bet you're the other side of Britain to me 😆 

33 minutes ago, m50e30 said:

Yeah. I need my cruise control coded please. Bet you're the other side of Britain to me 😆 

Lol, looks like you're not far away by location on here...  Tier 4 though I guess? :ph34r:

It's simple to do though.  ELMConfig is a free download so you just need a ~£20 cable and access to a laptop.

46 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol, looks like you're not far away by location on here...  Tier 4 though I guess? :ph34r:

It's simple to do though.  ELMConfig is a free download so you just need a ~£20 cable and access to a laptop.

Tier 2 lol. My little hamlet escape tier 4

Knowing me, I'll manage to blow the car up. If you can do it, that would be great. Don't need doing just yet. Maybe next month?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I am late to the party on this one, I have a 2010, 59 plate Mk 2.5 1.8 Zetec. Using guides from the site I have installed the dashcam and reversing sensors, as well as having installed a wireless charging phone cradle to make up for the lack of sat nav. Next step is cruise control.

My GEM is 7M5T-14A073-CF rather than one ending in DX. I don't have a GEM103, nothing so thin as that one in the picutres in post one. I have tried looking, taking photos etc and can't for the life of me see the cables behind the brake pedal and / or clutch. I am not sure if that means they are not there or I am not looking for them in the right place. There has to be some form of a switch there for the brake lights, right?

The only good bit of news is that I removed the steering column trim and the port behind the steering wheel has six cables going into it, although they may appear to be differently coloured to those in post 1.

I can see that four spoke steering wheels with the controls are going for £60-70 with airbag, and 3 spoke ones without going for about £30. So my thoughts are to ignore all the lack of indicators that this is feasible and go ahead and buy a four spoke, sell my three spoke, £40 net difference, get the cable for another £25. £65 nothing ventured, nothing gained. Hope it works.

What are your thoughts? Too many maybes to make it worth taking the risk? Does anyone have a car with a similar spec that has made this work successfully?

Thanks,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2016 at 9:13 PM, TitaniumPenguin said:

Hi All,

After joining the forum a little less than two weeks ago and reading through a lot of your posts, I am glad to say I am really happy I joined you all!
The cruise control was my first real mod to my MK2 Focus and after trial and error I have finally got it working tonight! So, on that note I thank you all as you've all helped in one way or another...

Enabling the CC in the HEC and the GEM was the easy bit, ordered a modified lead of eBay and happy days...
Turned out the lead wasn't suitable for the job of programming the PCM as it wasn't rated to the 500k that it was described as (being returned tomorrow for a refund)
I then bought one from http://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/ Yeah, it was about twice the price but I was assured by him it would work, low and behold, it did, so if you're worried about getting a dodgy one, give this guy a shout and order it from his store.

I don't know how some of you guys managed to do the procedure so quickly because mine took around 45 mins to read from the PCM and about 35 mins to write to it, each time!

If some of you guys are struggling this may help it may not, this is how I did mine;

1. make sure you have a decent modified ELM327 cable

2. Download the latest ELMConfig from (at the time of writing this, the latest was 2.17) http://civil.iffc.ru/elmconfig/

3. Enable in the GEM and HEC module (Self explanitory)

4. Now, this may not be the way some of you guys did this part for the PCM, but it's how I did mine;

- Open up the PCM page
   - Read the VIN Number
   - Open the information tab and click "Read"
   - Go to the configuration tab and click "Read from PCM"
   - Follow the instructions
   - Ensure that the PCM type in the top drop down box matches yours
   - Click on the Procedures tab and select page 2
   - Click Read firmware from PCM to BIN-file (This took around 50 mins IIRC)
   - Next click Load Firmware from PHF/HEX/BIN-file
   - I had a dialog box pop up here and ask me if I wanted to load this VID block, I selected "NO"
   - Return to the configuration tab, select Integrated Speed Control
   - Return to Procedures Page 2
   - Click Write current firmware to PCM
   - I then had a dialog box pop up and ask me if I wanted to use the current VID block, I selected "Yes"
   - Once this procedure started, I had a warning message on my dash clocks saying "Engine Systems Fault"
   - This procedure took about 35 mins to complete (I had to do this part about 5 times until I figured out what I had been doing wrong)
   - Once this part had completed, it rebooted the PCM and the error dissapeared

5. Test drive and enjoy!

-- Please note, I would highly recommend you save and save again throughout this as you don't want to lose you PCM configurations - I won't be held responsible for any damage or problems caused to your vehicle from following the method I used --

-- This is how I did it with my car - MK2 Focus 2.0 TDCI 136 Titanium - It may not work for yours but it may help someone in a sticky situation --

Best of luck and thank you to everyone posting their little bit of info, all helps someone like me! I hope I can help some of you :-)

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience.

I got Ford focus 2008 1.6 petrol automatic. So Mk2.5. Checked all modules and wires and everything was in place. Got 4 spoke steering wheel from eBay, fitted it and activated Cruise control in GEM and HEC modules with elmconfig 0.2.17c and modified elmconfig adapter I bought long time ago off eBay. It is genuine part with 500k speed.

Tested button inputs with holding rear screen heater button and turning igniton to key2 position. All buttons responded.

For PCM programming I picked above post. Followed all instructions, took me 17 min to read to bin file and only 4 min to load it. My PCM module type was SIM28.

Took it for test drive and it works perfectly. So big thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend I fitted a new steering wheel, which I paid £45 for on eBay and followed TitaniumPenguin's instructions and it all works perfectly! This is in spite of my CF GEM. It's an early 2010 59 plate

I used a bbfly VINT-TT55502 cable which I got from amazon for £21. I was recommended a different one by TomsFocus but amazon was able to deliver overnight.

One word of forewarning, when I went to page 3 of configuration on HEC and read the module, I got some alarms and an "Engine Malfunction" warning, which gave me a fright. But I ploughed on and it has all worked fine.

And, another piece of advice, in the PCM first page, you can read the ECU type to then choose your PCM type from the dropdown in the configuration page.

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, interesting topic.

have focus 2011. I check it has "E" module instead of "D". Anyone work with " E" module to activate the CC before? 

On 4/19/2021 at 9:53 AM, Londondriver said:

Over the weekend I fitted a new steering wheel, which I paid £45 for on ebay and followed TitaniumPenguin's instructions and it all works perfectly! This is in spite of my CF GEM. It's an early 2010 59 plate

I used a bbfly VINT-TT55502 cable which I got from Amazon for £21. I was recommended a different one by TomsFocus but Amazon was able to deliver overnight.

One word of forewarning, when I went to page 3 of configuration on HEC and read the module, I got some alarms and an "Engine Malfunction" warning, which gave me a fright. But I ploughed on and it has all worked fine.

And, another piece of advice, in the PCM first page, you can read the ECU type to then choose your PCM type from the dropdown in the configuration page.

Thanks for the help everyone.

London Driver, i have the same 7mst-14a073-cf... did you have the 6 wires going to the block connector under the steering wheel?

• Like 1

Hey folks, I know I'm a bit late to the party but following the method Titanium Penguin used, I got cruise working on my car with a CF GEM Module. Now just want to get that wheel refurbished.

Don't usually post much, but wanted to say thank you for the content in this guide. Couldn't have mustered up the courage to go for it without it 

CUkDaAJ.jpg

PkbPGK4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How do I got about this if I wanted to keep my 3 spoke steering wheel? If I bought a retrofit CC kit for my mk 2.5 focus ST. Can I still use my 3 spoke steering wheel as the kit you buy has the steering wheel buttons? 

So all you would need to do is cut a notch out of steering wheel rubber and fit them right? 

Would I be able to use this kit with a 3 spoke steering wheel? 

Screenshot_20210629-104435_Chrome.jpg

Would I be able to use this kit with a 3 spoke steering wheel? 

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2016 at 10:13 PM, TitaniumPenguin said:

Hi All,

After joining the forum a little less than two weeks ago and reading through a lot of your posts, I am glad to say I am really happy I joined you all!
The cruise control was my first real mod to my MK2 Focus and after trial and error I have finally got it working tonight! So, on that note I thank you all as you've all helped in one way or another...

Enabling the CC in the HEC and the GEM was the easy bit, ordered a modified lead of eBay and happy days...
Turned out the lead wasn't suitable for the job of programming the PCM as it wasn't rated to the 500k that it was described as (being returned tomorrow for a refund)
I then bought one from http://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/ Yeah, it was about twice the price but I was assured by him it would work, low and behold, it did, so if you're worried about getting a dodgy one, give this guy a shout and order it from his store.

I don't know how some of you guys managed to do the procedure so quickly because mine took around 45 mins to read from the PCM and about 35 mins to write to it, each time!

If some of you guys are struggling this may help it may not, this is how I did mine;

1. make sure you have a decent modified ELM327 cable

2. Download the latest ELMConfig from (at the time of writing this, the latest was 2.17) http://civil.iffc.ru/elmconfig/

3. Enable in the GEM and HEC module (Self explanitory)

4. Now, this may not be the way some of you guys did this part for the PCM, but it's how I did mine;

- Open up the PCM page
   - Read the VIN Number
   - Open the information tab and click "Read"
   - Go to the configuration tab and click "Read from PCM"
   - Follow the instructions
   - Ensure that the PCM type in the top drop down box matches yours
   - Click on the Procedures tab and select page 2
   - Click Read firmware from PCM to BIN-file (This took around 50 mins IIRC)
   - Next click Load Firmware from PHF/HEX/BIN-file
   - I had a dialog box pop up here and ask me if I wanted to load this VID block, I selected "NO"
   - Return to the configuration tab, select Integrated Speed Control
   - Return to Procedures Page 2
   - Click Write current firmware to PCM
   - I then had a dialog box pop up and ask me if I wanted to use the current VID block, I selected "Yes"
   - Once this procedure started, I had a warning message on my dash clocks saying "Engine Systems Fault"
   - This procedure took about 35 mins to complete (I had to do this part about 5 times until I figured out what I had been doing wrong)
   - Once this part had completed, it rebooted the PCM and the error dissapeared

5. Test drive and enjoy!

-- Please note, I would highly recommend you save and save again throughout this as you don't want to lose you PCM configurations - I won't be held responsible for any damage or problems caused to your vehicle from following the method I used --

-- This is how I did it with my car - MK2 Focus 2.0 TDCI 136 Titanium - It may not work for yours but it may help someone in a sticky situation --

Best of luck and thank you to everyone posting their little bit of info, all helps someone like me! I hope I can help some of you 🙂

Hello, thank you for your notes!

So do you tell that I don't have to go to PCM / Configuration page and press the "Write to PCM" button anyway anytime? Just follow what you already wrote, am I right? 

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

Anyone ever tried it with a ‘J*’ GEM? I have all switches and cables in the car as original post suggests. The only difference is my GEM number, just asking before going and buying a wheel with the CC buttons? 
Many thanks 

F361818E-6B18-4131-AAC9-98987C816809.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

sorry if I've missed elsewhere but this thread is 35 or so pages deep ....lol

I've studied a few pictures but what component is this GEM number printed on please?

I've done all the other checks bar the clock spring and the wires and GEM number (I need to find it first 😄) at this point and so far so good...

I've bought a cable and downloaded Forscan and ELM config etc in preparation just not the steering wheel just in case.

Thanks

1 hour ago, bantam_dave21 said:

Hiya

sorry if I've missed elsewhere but this thread is 35 or so pages deep ....lol

I've studied a few pictures but what component is this GEM number printed on please?

I've done all the other checks bar the clock spring and the wires and GEM number (I need to find it first 😄) at this point and so far so good...

I've bought a cable and downloaded Forscan and ELM config etc in preparation just not the steering wheel just in case.

Thanks

The GEM itself has the part number, as pictured above your post lol. 

That picture is taken from the passenger footwell and looking upwards under the glovebox...

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That picture is taken from the passenger footwell and looking upwards under the glovebox...

Thanks thats the bit I wasn't sure of - where the white box was...

I'll have a look.....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club