Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Advice on warning light on Focus

JaneN

I hope one of you wonderful people can help me.

I recently bought a used Focus - 1999 Zetec 1.8. In the last 2 days, one of the warning lights comes on a flashes intermittently from time to time on the dash. I don't have an owners manual, and don't recognise this symbol, so am really not sure what to do.

The light is the top one on the RH display, and looks like a picture of a cog (or something similar) with some lines to the RH side of it. Is this something to do with the brake pads? It's an amber light

Many Thanks!

The only warning light I can think of that resembles anything like a cog, would be the frost warning one (which is actually a snowflake type thing) but my MK1 doesn't have that. Maybe some do.

If it is that, its coming on cos its cold!

Otherwise, can you take a pic of it?

The only warning light I can think of that resembles anything like a cog, would be the frost warning one (which is actually a snowflake type thing) but my MK1 doesn't have that. Maybe some do.

If it is that, its coming on cos its cold!

Otherwise, can you take a pic of it?

i tend to agree, cant think of what light you mean. i have a mk1 aswell and havent seen a light that looks like a cog i dont think.

if you could get a picture that would be great. when you put the key in and turn on the ignition, when they lights all come on does this 'cog' light up too?

I recently bought a used Focus - 1999 Zetec 1.8. In the last 2 days, one of the warning lights comes on a flashes intermittently from time to time on the dash. I don't have an owners manual, and don't recognise this symbol, so am really not sure what to do.

The light is the top one on the RH display, and looks like a picture of a cog (or something similar) with some lines to the RH side of it. Is this something to do with the brake pads? It's an amber light

Many Thanks!

Many Thanks!

Dash.jpg

Number 8 should be the light, apparently its

8 Safety belt indicator

on the 1.4 1.6 1.8 2.0 and diesel.

On the ST it would be

8 Traction control system (TCS)

Dash.jpg

Number 8 should be the light, apparently its

8 Safety belt indicator

on the 1.4 1.6 1.8 2.0 and diesel.

On the ST it would be

8 Traction control system (TCS)

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I think it may be the Traction control system. What should I do, does it need to be taken int o be checked do you think?

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I think it may be the Traction control system. What should I do, does it need to be taken int o be checked do you think?
Yep, get it checked. Warning lights generally don't light up for fun, so something is probably not right.

If the light was only coming on sporadically when the weather was slippy and now its not now the weathers ok then no the cars fine. The light SHOULD come on when the TCS is operating. By that I mean when the sensor detects a wheel spinning the TCS will activate to stop it and the light should come on. As when you originally posted it was during the very bad snow its fair to assume one or more of your wheels was slipping at some point causing the TCS to operate.

• 1 year later...

hi people,

can any one tell me what number 20 on the dashboard pic (abv) stands for..... iv just recently had it pop up. I had new spark plugs put in about a month ago and the car was workinbg fine until recently, when i press the accelerator it seems to strugle to speed up.... please answer back soon....thanks

No 20 relates to the engine management light.

Needs to go on a scanner to see the fault code or if you have the function on your dash put it into self test to see if any codes are stored.