Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Car Tax And Part Ex Etiquette

iNVADER84

I am a week from threading on my old 307 for my Focus TitX and, having never done this before, am wondering if I should leave the tax on, which I bought last month, or take it off and get the rebate?

Deal was done over the phone with a Ford dealership and only the condition and mileage of the car was asked for, no mention of tax in the deal, but not sure if it is assumed?

If its a part ex then id keep the tax and claim it back as most dealers just send the cars to auction anyway.

• Like 1

I would keep the Tax as well , i have never seen a dealer sell a car with tax they always make you tax the car.

• Like 1

I will heed your advice and I'll do this. Thanks :-)

I'm pretty sure they have to give it back to you these days anyway. The last two cars I partx'd, the dealer gave it back.

The tax is yours, you paid for it, you keep it.

They would probably only send it off like you would and trouser the money anyway.

Yeah, keep the tax. If nothing was mentioned, then you don't have to give it up.

When my dad part ex'd his car once, the dealer phoned him up later that day complaining that he'd taken it, and demanded that he give it back as he'd already found a buyer for the car with the tax.

Bearing in mind the tax was worth £200 and the car was only worth £800, this would make quite a difference.

The main thing is that the dealer assumed the tax was included, however no mention of it was made. The guy had no legal comeback, so my dad pocketed the money.

Had you signed an invoice or something saying that tax was included, however, that is a different matter, but since you haven't then just keep it!

If I sell/part ex a car I have to take the disk off it by law, as mines taxed 'Disabled', and can only be used by a disabled person and their carer.

I've never let the tax go with a car in the 46 years I've been driving, unless there was less than a month left on it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club