Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 Vss Cable??

nazsky786

Does anyone know where the Vehicle Speed Sensor cable is?

I need to connect it to the Pioneer. I've been told I should be able to tap into a wire

behind the instrument cluster but I don't know which to tap into.

Thanks

The speed sensors on the MK2 Focus are integral with the ABS sensors on the wheels.

I don't believe that tapping into these wires is either possible or wise tbh.

If the radio you are fitting doesn't take an integrated AVC circuit feed from the quadlock connector like the standard radio then I don't believe it is possible.

Personally I don't think AVC works as well as it's supposed to anyway, just as easy to flick the volume controller on the steering interface anyhow.

Right cancel last, i may have found a solution for you after wracking my braincell :d.

There does appear to be an AVC pin in the Quadlock connector as per my diagram below.

The correct pin is highlighted.

Whether there is a pin/wire to connect to I can't confirm (having never noticed or needed to look for one before).

Hopefully my diagram will assist you though.

post-28494-0-00427300-1389506826_thumb.j

• Like 1

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the speed signal is calculated by the BCM (Brake Control Module) using the ABS sensors. The speed signal is communicated over the CAN-bus system to all modules that need the speed signal. Because this is a CAN-bus signal it can not be used for aftermarket devices that need an analog speed signal.

My experience is that the AVC (analog speed signal) pin is not used on the Quadlock connector of the Focus MK2/MK2.5. On my car this pin is definetely not wired. The Focus MK2/MK2.5 radio uses the CAN-bus signal for AVC. The analog AVC pin is only used on a Focus MK2/MK2.5 without ABS and some other Ford models which do not have the CAN-bus speed signal.

Some types of GEM module/fuse box have the possibility to convert the CAN-bus speed signal to an analog speed signal. You have to check the part number of the GEM module/fuse box to determine the GEM module/fuse box does or does not support the analog speed signal.

4M5T-14A073-Ax, -Fx = No support for analog speed signal.

3M5T-14A073-BF, -CF, -DF = No support for analog speed signal.

3M5T-14A073-BG, -CG, -DG = Support for analog speed signal after configuration by a Ford dealer.

4M5T-14A073-Bx, -Cx, -Dx = Support for analog speed signal (no configuration required).

7M5T-14A073-Cx, -Dx, -Ex, -Fx, -Jx = Support for analog speed signal (no configuration required).

If your GEM module/fuse box supports the analog speed signal it can be found on Pin 8 of the C98 connector of the GEM module/fuse box. Connector C98 is the small black square connector at the front of the GEM module/fuse box.

If your GEM module/fuse box does not support the analog speed signal you have to replace the GEM mdoule/fuse box or fit an aftermarket CAN-bus converter which converts the CAN-bus speed signal to an analog speed signal.

OK, to make life easy I found this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speed-Pulse-CAN-BUS-Interface-Sat-Nav-Car-Navigation-/350967349488?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item51b748c0f0

To install it, It says to

Installation: The CANBUS SPEED PULSE Interface should be connected as below:

• RED Permanent 12v+
  • BLACK Ground (0v)
  • WHITE CAN HI
  • BLUE CAN LO
  • GREEN 12V+ Speed Pulse output (1Hz / 1MPH approx.)

So does anyone know what colour the CAN HI is on the Ford loom? & The colour of the CAN LO on the Ford loom.

According to the diagram (Thanks for that, no pin there for VSS) The CAN HI is a blue colour but there are 4 cables which are blue 2 light blue and 2 darker? which is which?

The Focus MK2/MK2.5 has 2 CAN-bus networks. There is a HS (high speed) Can-bus network and a MS (mid-speed) CAN-bus network. I am not sure on which network the speed signal is distributed. This should be at least on the HS CAN-bus network because the BCM is connected directly to the HS CAN-bus network. Maybe the speed signal is also distributed on the MS CAN-bus network but I am not sure.

Both the HS and MS CAN-bus wires can be found at the connector of the instrument cluster. In my opinion this is one of the easiest locations to connect a CAN-bus converter to the CAN-bus system.

The HS CAN-bus wires are connected to Pin 17 (HS CAN -) and Pin 18 (HS CAN +) of the instrument cluster.

The MS CAN-bus wires are connected to Pin 22 (MS CAN -) and Pin 23 (MS CAN +) of the instrument cluster.

According to the diagram I think it should be easy to connect it from the cable to the quadlock. Can hi and can lo. So any cable which are at them pins should just be transfered. But the problem is the wiring bahind my CD player was brutally assaulted by a so called professtional when they installed the old stereo. So I need to just know what colour is the can hi there should be 2 cables and the colour to can low.

Thanks

The radio is only connected to the MS CAN-bus network. I do not know if the speed signal is distibuted on the MS CAN-bus network.

The colours of the wiring is a bit difficult to tell. based on the production date the colours may be different. CAN-bus wires are twisted with eachother and shielded with an alumium foil. On my 2005 MK2 the MS CAN-bus wires at the Quadlock connector are Blue and Grey.

I thought the connect was just dark and light blue cables?

I thought the connect was just dark and light blue cables?

I checked the schematics of the Focus MK2 and on the Quadlock connector the MS CAN + wire (Pin 9) should be Grey and the MS CAN - wire (Pin 10) should be Blue.

My PJB number is 4M5T 14A073 DJ.

Also according to Ford even if the PJB supported its always on it not a speed sensor. So pin 8 won't work.

Also according to Ford the pins I need to connect the can bus adaptor are pin 1 blue-red is can lo and pin 6 is grey red is can hi. These pins can be found on the quadlock.

So question is the black square connected pin 8 is it supported on my pjb or is it best to connect the can how Ford say to.

Thanks

All this just to connect a speed pulse cable. I would have thought pioneer would have made it easy.

My PJB number is 4M5T 14A073 DJ.

Also according to Ford even if the PJB supported its always on it not a speed sensor. So pin 8 won't work.

Also according to Ford the pins I need to connect the can bus adaptor are pin 1 blue-red is can lo and pin 6 is grey red is can hi. These pins can be found on the quadlock.

So question is the black square connected pin 8 is it supported on my pjb or is it best to connect the can how Ford say to.

Thanks

Based on the part number of your GEM module/fuse box it should support the analog speed signal. So if you connect the speed signal wire of your radio to Pin 8 of the C98 connector it should work correctly.

That's the best news I've heard. One question how do u know which is pin 8 then in the black square block?

What's the colour of the cable that goes to pin8??

That's the best news I've heard. One question how do u know which is pin 8 then in the black square block?

What's the colour of the cable that goes to pin8??

Some Pin numbers are casted on the connector body. The Pin numbers in between with no number can be identified by counting the Pins. Because the analog speed signal is not used on a Focus MK2/MK2.5 there should be no wire present on Pin 8 of the C98 connector.

Detailed pictures with connector numbers of the GEM module/fuse box can be found on the following website:

http://ffclub.ru/topic/18057/jump_1920/?pid=8865636#entry8865636

Ok I've connected it the Pioneer reads 4 speed pulse but that's not right. I should be getting way more per mile.

The pioneer then says that the speed pulse isn't connected which means that its not working as it should.

Sorry to ask but are you certain pin 8 on the my model pjb is compatible.??

thanks for your help.

Based on an official Ford TSB (Technical service Bulletin) Pin 8 of the C98 connector should be correct.

If it is not functioning correctly I suppose the only way to make it work is by using an aftermarket CAN-bus converter.

Got it working. You are right . Pin 8 is working. The problem was the cable come out when I put the stereo back in. But as on now it's working and the pioneer sat nav is working like it should. Thanks for your help.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club