Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snapped Camshaft

mad o

Hi all,just asking has anyone heard of a camshaft bracking in 3 places,and cracking the head,and then snapping the cam belt. Had the belt changed 4,000 miles ago on the wife's 1.8tdi focus,then on her way to work car just died after a ,what she says was a bag,RAC called and said belt snapped. Long story short ,had a look at the garage today to find camshaft in 3 bits. Now would it sound right belt snapped first followed by contact with pistons and valves, result snapped camshaft. Many thanks Inadvance Mick (I can see a fight coming on)

Sounds about right poss tensioned to much new engine I'd say at the least .thing is proving there at fault as a cam belt in theory can go at any time .what sort of reputation has the garage got that fitted the belt.

Hi, garage has got a good reputation plus I know him well,but saying that business is business,and I don't think he will want to fork out for a new engine,it's just trying to work out what happens.one thing I did notice the tensioner felt a bit tight,not spinning very free,unlike the one on my hilux, does this sound right or should it be free to spin. Thanks Mick

The actual wheel should spin freely sounds to me as if just the belt has been replaced and not the rollers like recommended on a lot of cars these days not sure about your year .should of thought they would of checked it though .

It's a 03, new tensioner fitted at same time,could be a faulty tensioner.Going to call in at fords garage tomorrow and see if I can have a look at a new one,might give me a clue. Thanks for your input....Mick

Sounds plausible hope you get it sorted .