Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Can A Car Dealer Garage Mot Their Own Vehicles

helenmintlaw

Hi,

Just wondering is it allowed for a Garage to MOT their own cars they are selling?

Can find any info about it at all. I would have personally though that you can't due to a personal interest. But, from what I have learned over the last few weeks about car dealers, they can do what they want when selling cars. and it's up to the buyer if they can, to prove the seller is in the wrong which is nigh on impossible as we have found out.

H

Yes they can as long as the person is qualified to do so and they are permmited to by the ministry of transport. They have to make sure they mot falls inside the guide lines, if your worried you can get the car checked at another garage.

• Like 1

As Preee said, yes they can. If you are an MOT tester you cant MOT your own vehicle.

What has you worried out of interest?

Call VOSA if you have any concerns about the MOT worthiness of the car, they will arrange to get it looked at and reprimand the tester/company if necessary.

I have found on numerous occasions when I have bought cars from dealers that the car should never have passed an MOT. Its usually tyres, brakes and exhausts that they should have failed on. One should have failed on emission's and the most recent (Renault Clio) should have failed because the airbag light wasn't coming on when first turning the ignition on. Somebody had disconnected it to hide the fact that the passenger seat belt pretentioner had failed.

Never trust a dealer when buying a used car, especially if it isn't a main dealer.

If in doubt always book an AA or RAC check.

Better paying out a few quid to find out if it's a dud you can walk away from than the hassle and expense of getting problems rectified after purchase.

If the seller doesn't allow a check don't take the risk.

I have found on numerous occasions when I have bought cars from dealers that the car should never have passed an MOT. Its usually tyres, brakes and exhausts that they should have failed on. One should have failed on emission's and the most recent (Renault Clio) should have failed because the airbag light wasn't coming on when first turning the ignition on. Somebody had disconnected it to hide the fact that the passenger seat belt pretentioner had failed.

Never trust a dealer when buying a used car, especially if it isn't a main dealer.

my thinking aswell.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club