Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hit By The Diesel Bug...

InKontrol

Hi all,

My car appears to have been hit by the diesel bug, whereby the car goes in to limp mode and certain engine revs and speed. The garage has diagnosed it as being the fuel filter (was changed about 10,000 miles ago) due to the crap found in biodiesel. Now if this is the case why are the fuel company's not being investigated for selling a product that causes this problem...?

They dont say it doesnt cause the problem diesel is a dirty fuel running the tank low doesnt help and supermarket cheap fuel makes it worse sister stopped using cheap stuff and had no issues

• Like 1

I don't run my tank very low, but I've considered an experiment with the more expensive fuels, e.g. Shell V Power, BP ultimate to see what difference that makes (especially economy).

Did the garage tell you what the fault codes were? Doesn't seem like a fuel filter issue to me...

They never said what the fault codes were, but mentioned that the fuel pressure sensor on the rail was reporting that there was not enough pressure. I took it for a blast up the motorway at high speed and it seemed perfectly fine, however my neighbour did say to keep using it as normal and if it comes back to bring it back in again.

Sounds like using the likes of Shell regular diesel / fuelsave will definately be of assistance to you. I had similar misbehaviours on all the cars I owned from running all my cars on supermarket gunk, all of them developed running issues. Soon as I started running the cheapest of the best (the likes of regular and fuelsave from Shell, or bp's standard fuels, driveability, MPG and behaviour improved drastically!

• Like 1

I've put V Power in just to 'clear the works' so to speak, and I'll vouch to never touch supermarket fuel again! It's funny because that morning Asda was the place I got the diesel...

• Like 1

I found using supermarket fuel hasn't got the same goodness as branded fuels . I use Shell fuel save diesel and runs fine and it's quite

And runs more smoothly. I also use redex diesel treatment every 2-3 months to keep the system clean.

• Like 1

+1 about not using supermarket Diesel. I had running issues after I was exclusively filling up my tank every week with the supermarket that Every Little Helps as it was the cheapest. Car started kangarooing when going around roundabouts and went into limp mode as well a few times. The service time was near, got it serviced at my local Ford garage and they told me the same thing. Fuel filter was obstructed and that was the main issue. Most probably due to the quality of the Diesel.

Since then, only bought Diesel Texaco and no running issues so far. service is due in a few weeks and will see if there are any new issues then.

Moral of the story, stay away from supermarket Diesel like the plague. Saves you a few quid now but in the long term results in more repairs and money!

Moral of the story, stay away from supermarket Diesel like the plague. Saves you a few quid now but in the long term results in more repairs and money!

Where I live, Esso diesel is exactly the same price as the muck Asda serve up!

After receiving the repair bill, and being quite the geek I've gone ahead and ordered myself a Hayne's manual, with the intention of owning the car for many years to come.

I think the only thing I'm not going to bother changing myself is the timing belt when it's due.