Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Powertrain Warning Lamp

JosieSmith

Hi, I'm just after a bit of advice please.

I bought a 57 1.4 tdci diesel ford fiesta ghia a week ago. Two days after I bought it the engine warning lamp came on intermittently so it went back to the dealer for a diagnostic two days later. They couldn't find anything.

The following day it came on again and the car went into safe mode, it lasted a second and then was fine. When I parked up at home later it came on again and stayed on this time.

When I turned it back on later it had gone. It comes on intermittently but there's definitely something wrong.

It's back in to the dealer today and this morning noticed withr diesel/oil running down the pavement - it appeared to be coming from uner my bonnet.

I'm really worried that this new car is going to be a money trap. Is this sort of thing a regular occurrence with fiestas? I'm under warrenty at the moment so it's free to fix, but I don't want the car if it's going to keep doing this. I've told the garage I don't want it back until it's fixed but to be honest if it's going to keep needing this problem fixed I can't afford it, which would be awful because I love the car and it's perfect for me

Thanks for anyone's help!

Is it diesel or is it oil ??? If its diesel, its more than likely a split return pipe, or a loose injector, and maybe (more common on yours) the injector seals themselves. All these need a good look over by the garage, don't start messing yourself as, like you say, its covered at the moment. If its oil, the a visual inspection should give a good indication as to where its coming from. Good luck.

If u have an on going problem they can't find they still have to fix problem if warranty runs out once it's noted as on going issue surely there has be fault logged if light comes on red or yellow light is this main dealer

Have had this with my 08 1.6 tdci several times. The first time it was a sticky EGR valve (which eventually failed completely causing constant limp mode), the second time it was low on power steering fluid and the third time it was a blocked air intake at the filter.

No fault codes were stored on mine while the faults were there, even Ford couldn't find them. When the EGR did fail completely, then a code was stored. The EGR ran a £300 bill as the injectors had to be cleaned and new glow plugs fitted as well, a new filter and a fluid top up cleared the other two. Had mine 6 years from new and, other than a few bearings, these are the only problems I've had with it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses. The garage changed the glow plugs, not sure of all or just one, and for the last couple of days the car has been more responsive and no warning light. Until it came on again today. So it's now back in the garage for the third time in under two Weeks! They said the fault was stored as a glow plug relay. I'm going to have it fixed yet again but the next time or happens, which I think is probably only a few days away, I'm taking it back for a refund

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club