Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A Used Car. Warranty Issues From Local Dealer

PeteySlice

What kind of Warranty should I get from a local car sales dealer?

I only ask as I bought a 2010 Fiesta at the end of January, and it came with a good service history and at first all seemed fine.

One of my headlight bulbs went after about a week which I duly replaced myself, but upon changing this I notice a lot of residue dripping from the engine. Which after further investigation turned out to be Diesel. At first I thought it may just need a wash so I washed it and continued using it. After about ten days the problem was still present, in fact much worse. Every time I turn the engine off it would seem to dump a load of diesel out of the pressure lines/ or somewhere else. It isn't leaking as far as I'm aware whilst it's in travel.

Now anyway, back to my issue. I contacted the car sales place which I bought the car off 4 weeks after purchase and they said to bring it in and they'd get their mechanic to have a look. A day later after having a look and booking it in to get repaired/ fixed, one of the employees at the car sales place contacted me and said that after looking through their warranty terms and conditions, this doesn't fall under it so I would be liable to pay for it myself.

Now it's my understanding that under the Sale of Goods act they owe it to me as a customer to get it fixed after such a short time of having it? Does anyone, or has anyone had anything similar happen to them? I would be interested to hear other views on this scenario.

Peter

The garage is of course incorrect - a warranty is ADDITIONAL to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act (sometimes called

your statutory rights) and I am sure the garage knows this. If they try to fob you off, contact your local trading standards

department and tell the garage you are going to do this.

Used motor vehicles - consumer rights

When you buy a used motor vehicle from a trader, you enter into a legally binding contract. You are entitled to expect that the vehicle is of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, and as described. An older vehicle with high mileage may not be as good as a newer vehicle with low mileage, but it should still be fit for use on the road and in a condition that reflects its age and price.

Read more here: http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/glos/con1item.cgi?file=*ADV0003-1011.txt

Cheers guys. I've spoken to others who have said similar. I know very well they are trying to fob me off but just wanted to be certain about it.

Peter