Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well That Was Expensive...

MartynS

As some of you may remember, back in October someone decided it would be a good idea to not look where they're going and drive into the back of me. I was due to collect my ST less than a month after that, and it turned out that my then insurer wouldn't cover me on an ST so I had to go elsewhere once I got the car. Because the claim hadn't been settled at the time it was recorded on the shared database thing as a fault claim.

Doing quotes online, the difference in cost for the same insurer between declaring the accident as fault and non fault (just so I knew how much extra I would have to Shell out temporarily) was about £180! Add to that the difference of about £50 between a non fault accident and none at all, which I of course won't get back, made it quite expensive.

Anyway, I finally got a letter yesterday saying it had been settled at last (only taken 4 and a half months) so I called my new insurers today to inform them and claim the refund. It turns out I'm not entitled to anything like £180, the refund is only £45! I didn't twig at the time I took it out, but because it was with a broker the two different quotes were provided by different insurance companies and I obviously can't change mid way through (unless I pay them some money and start a new 12 month policy from today).

In short, someone driving into me has cost me around £185 this year. And the fact you have to declare it for 5 years means it's going to cost me more another 4 times. Assuming £50 a year, maybe a total of £385? Joy.

As some of you may remember, back in October someone decided it would be a good idea to not look where they're going and drive into the back of me. I was due to collect my ST less than a month after that, and it turned out that my then insurer wouldn't cover me on an ST so I had to go elsewhere once I got the car. Because the claim hadn't been settled at the time it was recorded on the shared database thing as a fault claim.

Doing quotes online, the difference in cost for the same insurer between declaring the accident as fault and non fault (just so I knew how much extra I would have to shell out temporarily) was about £180! Add to that the difference of about £50 between a non fault accident and none at all, which I of course won't get back, made it quite expensive.

Anyway, I finally got a letter yesterday saying it had been settled at last (only taken 4 and a half months) so I called my new insurers today to inform them and claim the refund. It turns out I'm not entitled to anything like £180, the refund is only £45! I didn't twig at the time I took it out, but because it was with a broker the two different quotes were provided by different insurance companies and I obviously can't change mid way through (unless I pay them some money and start a new 12 month policy from today).

In short, someone driving into me has cost me around £185 this year. And the fact you have to declare it for 5 years means it's going to cost me more another 4 times. Assuming £50 a year, maybe a total of £385? Joy.

Hi,

When your policy's due for renewal please feel free to give us a try.

Regards,

Dan.