Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Ghia Just Bought. Clutch And Trip Queries.

arnosvale

Just bought a 53 plate 1.6 Ghia for not much money as a run around. Apart from the fact that my knee nearly hits me under the chin when I let the clutch out before it bites she seems a rather nice drive. One owner from new who obviously lost interest in Ford service at about 50000 miles. It has been serviced though, last one last year. My last few cars have been automatics with big engines, yes there is a reason for this. Until recently I drove an HGV with a manual box and when you come back from eastern Europe or further and get into your car the last thing you want to do is to have to change gear, believe me! I take it that Focus clutches are not supposed to be like that. I have been quoted nearly £300 with a new slave cylinder for this, about right?

My other query is ref the trip computer. Do all Ghia's have them or are they an option? Mine doesn't have one and it isn't mentioned along with the huge list of extras my car also doesn't have. (FordEtis vehicle summary.)

Apart from that she seems OK and I was pleased to see that the engine bay had not been steam cleaned (to hide a thousand sins) She does seem to turn over reluctantly at first but fires up within a second. Is this normal or signs the battery is on the way out or the timing is iffy? I can't find any mention of a cam belt change in the service history. Also she does have the correct silver calcium battery fitted.

Hi Steven,

I can understand why you chose auto!

As for the clutch its definately not right, but if you get a full clutch and slave installed (and bought) for £300 that is a very good price, so go ahead and get it done if they are confident that is what the issue. I cant recall if its cable or hydraulic, so if you have clutch fluid, check that its not low as this could be another reason.

Also with the trip computer, I was under the impression they were standard on Ghia, however, if the original owner opted out of this, then they could have built it without in the factory. They can be retrofitted though.

Thanks James, I also thought they were standard too. It is definately a Ghia according to the vin number. It doesn't say it doesn't have one in the spec. The mystery deepens. i have read about retro fitting one but for the price I paid for the car I can't really be bothered and I do have an OBD reader which doubles as a trip comp.

As for the clutch it isn't slipping yet but I might still take advantage of the good price. I am a bit more wary of the cambelt though!

How much would you expect to pay fpor a cambelt/ water pump replacement?

Been living with my Focus for a few days now and all the niggles are comong to light. I have not owned a car like this for some time and it has come as a bit of a shock to find out how much doesn't work. Apart from the clutch (289.00 quoted at Mr clutch all the indies want about the same) there is nothing else expensive wrong with it. Blower only works at pos 4 and no A/C, I have read up on this and will attempt to change the resistor pack myself along with the rear widow mechanism which seems to have come detatched from the glass. She drives very well with no cooling problems and the brakes are spot on.Everything else seems to work and a good clean with have her looking a lot better. Clutch? Do it myself (I was a truck mechanic years ago) and do the cambelt while I am at it? I think I still have an old pair of adjustables somewhere.

cambelt and water pump your looking at a couple of hundred quid at an indie to be honest. but as for the clutch, if your good at these things anyway, definately save yourself a few quid!

Well so much for retro fitting a trip comp, there is no wiring loom. I read on a different thread that this was quite common on 2003 models. Typical. Still the old scan gauge does the job and in a lot more detail than the original Ford one. I tried to get the cover off the OBD port by the parcel shelf. Tight aren't they?

Never had the pleasure on a MK1 sadly...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club