Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4300K Hid Vs Halogen

neil1jnr

Hi, just thought I'd show a quick comparison between a Fiesta with standard halogen bulbs and mine with a 55W 4300K HID Kit fitted. This should give you a good indication of how much extra light you will get with xenons.

First, here is the beam of a Fiesta ecoboost standard halogen bulbs through the projector headlamp;

DSC_0050.jpg

Here is the beam of my Fiesta ST with 55w 4300K HID's;

DSC_0053.jpg

And here is both side by side;

DSC_0056.jpg

Finally, here is a link to my car with the xenons heating up to full operating temperature. You can see it flashes bright initially and is quite blue to begin but then settles with an intense white colour.

As you can see, the xenon light is much brighter and intense over the halogen filaments. I bought the kit from www.hids-direct.co.uk for less than £60. I'd recommend it to all Fiesta owners with projector headlamps. It is a shame that Ford didn't offer xenons as an optional extra.

In regard to the temperature, the 4300K light output is probably the brightest and whitest, I'd compare it with daylight. However, i have ordered 5000K bulbs instead as they just arn't quite what I was looking for. Previously on other cars the 4300K 35w kit is perfect for that OEM look, BUT becuase this is a 55W kit the light is stronger and the throw is further. After discussing this with the website I opted for the 5000K as with the 55w kit this should provide the closest to OEM spec.

I would not recommend 6000k or higher, IMO it ends up looking a it cheap and reduces how much useful light there is.

Cheers

Neil

And look at the light spill above the cut off from the Xenons. Will be dazzling eveyone. Thats why retrofit HIDS are illigal

And look at the light spill above the cut off from the Xenons. Will be dazzling eveyone. Thats why retrofit HIDS are illigal

The light spill comes from the bright LED's of the ST, and above the light cut off, it isn't exactly blinding. There is light spill from the halogens too!

The light spill is awful with reflector type headlamps but fine with projectors. The legality of the kit is something I am not concerned with.

Cheers

• Like 1

The light spill comes from the bright LED's of the ST, and above the light cut off, it isn't exactly blinding. There is light spill from the halogens too!

The light spill is awful with reflector type headlamps but fine with projectors. The legality of the kit is something I am not concerned with.

Cheers

I've always had the HID Kit when changing cars. Aslong as the car has projectors rather reflectors you're fine. I have 35w 6000k. I haven't yet to come across the brightness between 35w and 55w as previously having 55w.

The difference between HID and halogen is amazing, especially when you're driving down poor lit roads. Very surprised the ST did not come with them standard, only thing that annoyed me when buying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I've always had the HID kit when changing cars. Aslong as the car has projectors rather reflectors you're fine. I have 35w 6000k. I haven't yet to come across the brightness between 35w and 55w as previously having 55w.

The difference between HID and halogen is amazing, especially when you're driving down poor lit roads. Very surprised the ST did not come with them standard, only thing that annoyed me when buying one.

Agree with that. I've went down the HID route with every projector car I've had too.

I'll put another video up once I change to 5000K.

The DRL's on the ST really make the light spill look worse than it is on these pics and vid though, I've swopped cars with my mate to see what they look like and they don't blind you any more than say the OEM xenons on an Audi or BMW.

I've always had the HID kit when changing cars. Aslong as the car has projectors rather reflectors you're fine. I have 35w 6000k. I haven't yet to come across the brightness between 35w and 55w as previously having 55w.

Jordan I wouldn't use 6000k on the ST, the DRL's are more yellow than white and the colour will be way off, I'd use 4300k for a match

Jordan I wouldn't use 6000k on the ST, the DRL's are more yellow than white and the colour will be way off, I'd use 4300k for a match

I'd agree. The 4300K matches perfect, but it only appears slightly whiter than halogen although far brighter.

I would change, but I spent £65 on my ones last year! Until they decide to die on me I'll carry on to use them, in my ZS I still used a halogen side 501 bulb (couldn't be bummed to change it to LED). Don't bother me as such, I look out the front, not at the front ;)

I would change, but I spent £65 on my ones last year! Until they decide to die on me I'll carry on to use them, in my ZS I still used a halogen side 501 bulb (couldn't be bummed to change it to LED). Don't bother me as such, I look out the front, not at the front ;)

They probably won't ever die on you haha.

I have a 6000k from my last car, 4300k justnow and 5000k on the way. Only the initial payment for the ballasts is expensive, for different temp bulbs you are talking £15 for a set. Less than the top spec halogen ones!

Cheers

I'm looking at LED's now, but had HID's in every car I've owned. Much better than halogen, and so much so in cars with reflectors (which tbh shouldn't be on any cars now) when you swap out and use projectors in them.

I'm looking at LED's now, but had HID's in every car I've owned. Much better than halogen, and so much so in cars with reflectors (which tbh shouldn't be on any cars now) when you swap out and use projectors in them.

LED headlights?

Are there decent aftermarket kits available yet?

• 1 month later...

Very interested in doing this, my VAG cars have always been upgraded with HIDs. Have heard that 55W can draw more power than stock wiring can handle or they overheat -either way I'd heard reports that the 35W was a safer bet. Any info on this as obviously I'd prefer the more powerful ones...

Cancel this post please

Why?

Very interested in doing this, my VAG cars have always been upgraded with HIDs. Have heard that 55W can draw more power than stock wiring can handle or they overheat -either way I'd heard reports that the 35W was a safer bet. Any info on this as obviously I'd prefer the more powerful ones...

No idea, as far as I am aware 55W is safe, I've had no issues.

Why?

No idea, as far as I am aware 55W is safe, I've had no issues.

Cancel my post as i asked a question then found the answer so it was pointless being in there

Sent from my finger using my iPhone

Cancel my post as i asked a question then found the answer so it was pointless being in there

Sent from my finger using my iPhone

My apologies, I thought you were regarding my original post.

I would but I am not sure how to :D .

Cheers

LED headlights?

Are there decent aftermarket kits available yet?

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/brand-new-h7-50w-cree-led-headlight-foglight-kit-1800lm/

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/new-gen3-h7-5600k-cree-led-foglight-headlamp-kit-3000lm-white/

These are the 2 kits I've seen which look pretty decent.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cheers

I'm thinking of getting some of these if they're not dazzling other drivers, any chance you could take another picture of light pattern but this time cover the LEDs with tape or something to see the true glare of the hids in a halogen projector housing

• Like 1

I'm thinking of getting some of these if they're not dazzling other drivers, any chance you could take another picture of light pattern but this time cover the LEDs with tape or something to see the true glare of the hids in a halogen projector housing

Good shout mate; had HiDs on my last fez - they were 5k iirc, more white with a strong hint of cool blue lol. They were awesome though could see everything on the road for miles!

I would get another set but not had the ST long and osram nightnreakers are doing a good job so far!

If I did get another set id get the 4300k ones as they're a match for DRL's and a 'true white'

I thought Xenon's had to be fitted with washer jets as well to be legal as the higher operating temperatures can cook insect life on to the lens cover. Lots of discussion on Briskoda forum about this

I thought Xenon's had to be fitted with washer jets as well to be legal as the higher operating temperatures can cook insect life on to the lens cover. Lots of discussion on Briskoda forum about this

Yeah I think they do mate...

And auto leveling headlamps (Not manually adjustable). Plus bulbs need to be CE marked. So at present ALL retrofits are illegal. In England you'll get a section 56 for them, caught twice and bye bye car

You don't need that bright a headlamp to drive safely on a road, just ruins everyone else night vision

I managed fine for years on a single 25w 6v halogen looning around country lanes on a dirt bike and riding off road at night. Your eyes get used to what you have. The brighter your lights the less you see outside the beam

• 4 months later...

And auto leveling headlamps (Not manually adjustable). Plus bulbs need to be CE marked. So at present ALL retrofits are illegal. In England you'll get a section 56 for them, caught twice and bye bye car

You don't need that bright a headlamp to drive safely on a road, just ruins everyone else night vision

I managed fine for years on a single 25w 6v halogen looning around country lanes on a dirt bike and riding off road at night. Your eyes get used to what you have. The brighter your lights the less you see outside the beam

I have already remarked that I don't care much regarging the legality of the HID kits. It doesn't ruin everyones vision, maybe your eyes are sensitive? I've never been bothered by other cars with retro fit or standard xenon headlamps, or the LED headlamps that newer cars are coming with.

Have fun witht the over priced Philips halogen bulbs, they make next to no difference compared to HID's... especially 55W 500Kkits :).

Don't know what they are but hate the bulbs which sometimes look blue. Keep thinking it's the police or ambulance for a second.

Don't know what they are but hate the bulbs which sometimes look blue. Keep thinking it's the police or ambulance for a second.

Maximum I'd ever use is 6k but that's too blue for me. I use 5k in my retrofitted bixenon projectors and have passed the MOT and never had a bad word said. Light output is amazing compared to halagons in reflectors

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club