Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

How Not To Approach A Junction In Snow And Ice

The Dark Knight

I always keep in mind what someone once told me; that you should always look to your own driving first before criticising others; fair comment. But...........................living 'up north', over the years I've seen this sort of thing happen a lot and particularly so it seems in more recent times. I was even asked to be a witness once when a similar (snowy) collision occurred. How many times have you heard...'well it just wouldn't stop/turn'.....wonder why? Is it perhaps that you are more 'removed' from the road in today's cars? Wider tyres, lighter cars? Okay so people learn to drive a car but not in any way shape or form to 'handle' a car. As a passenger I have experienced the sheer panic of drivers if the vehicle has for whatever reason ever so slightly 'moved around'! You can have all the experience in the world, drive safely, have winter tyres fitted but you cannot control what others do. Glad you were not a victim. I was waiting for the accident to happen!

Well said. It's a 30mph and despite winter tyres, I was down to speeds of 23mph at some points during the video. I always drive to the conditions and will slow down with the gears still as it is SAFER. Something that some people have no concept of.

I remember in 2010 (I think). When we had loads of snow and ice for months. I was driving near the North Yorkshire moors in a fully laden 3.5ton Sprinter, saw a sheet of ice on the road, slowed the van using the gears....and then into a high gear for traction. The car coming towards me braked heavily and slid sideways towards me, being hit by the two to three cars behind them. Luckily everyone was ok. I couldn't stop as there was a downhill drop just after. And would been dangerous to brake.

A lot of drivers seem to drive to close, brake too late, and be in too much of a rush to be anywhere.

I always leave a safe gap in my van to the car infront, but someone always has to squeeze in, then turn off.

I used to enjoy driving, but recently I'm getting put off by the amount of idiot impatient drivers on the roads.

To be honest that wasn't too bad compared to some of the things I've seen. The main issue is that a lot of drivers don't seem to realise that once a car goes into a skid you need to take your foot off the brake/accelerator immediately, not apply more pressure to the same.

To be honest that wasn't too bad compared to some of the things I've seen. The main issue is that a lot of drivers don't seem to realise that once a car goes into a skid you need to take your foot off the brake/accelerator immediately, not apply more pressure to the same.

Certainly seen worse myself I must say but I think he stopped more by luck than judgment. As I understand it though, if you have to brake and cannot slow down with gears, say someone pulls out or slides out of a turn ahead, you should keep applying the brakes even if there is that judder which occurs when the ABS is struggling to cope.

This seems to be widely communicated on other forums I've used.

Certainly seen worse myself I must say but I think he stopped more by luck than judgment. As I understand it though, if you have to brake and cannot slow down with gears, say someone pulls out or slides out of a turn ahead, you should keep applying the brakes even if there is that judder which occurs when the ABS is struggling to cope.

This seems to be widely communicated on other forums I've used.

You are right Dave, I was speaking with regards to cars without ABS or Traction Control (with those features it would be benefitial to continue to depress the respective pedals and allow the system to do what it is designed to do) but it didn't strike me at the time that the majority of drivers these days have ABS fitted! I really should get my brain into the 21st century one of these days.

ABS or not though, one situation when you should under no circumstances try to brake/accelerate is when the car slides sideways - although I would think that one would be obvious to anyone (but probably not, going by the idiots I see on the roads every day!).