Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Dirty Diesels - Dispatches

Brigante

Anyone else watch this earlier tonight? Think its been on before too.

On about how the government misold diesels to everyone as the green fuel of the future saying how environmentally friendly and safer it was compared to petrol and made everyone invest in diesel knowing full well about the amount of nitrogen they pump out.

Now they saying diesel isnt the clean fuel they said it was and that the fumes it emits can cause cancer. They want everyone to stop buying diesels and are on about imposing extra charges and taxes on them for people who continue to use them.

As someone who has just made the big switch from petrol to diesel and to a 2.2 diesel at that I'm a tad angry and concerned.

As a fellow diesel owner, I am right there with you... I had no choice but to buy a diesel because it was the only engine option in the vehicle spec I needed.

Love to see how the gov't are going to charge all the lorries, trains, ambulances, delivery drivers, busses, etc as well as normal cars which run on diesel... That will NOT go down too well.

Sent from Ye Olde iPadde using Ford OC

Haven't watched it yet but I did record it so will get to it today at some point.

Diesels are dirtier than envissaged due to being used as not intended, short cold journeys by most car owners.

Then you get the numptys making the atmoshere worse by removing dpfs !!

Lorries vans etc tend to do long hot journeys which gives them a chance to work as designed.less egr , dpf issues.

i must say i have always said i am a petrol head and that i wouldn't go for a diesel

but times change and with my job i wrack up a lot of miles and spent several hours on the motorways/a roads

it's only when i'm at home that i do any local driving visiting family/doing the shop run to tesco etc in between working

this is why my new car had to be a diesel as i know they last a lot longer and can do a lot more miles i their lifetimes over petrols so i bit the bullet and trumped for a beast of a diesel

if i was only going to do local driving with no local commutes then obviously i'd of stuck with petrol as diesels arent made for that kind of driving

but now that i've took the plunge and gone for diesel i hear how bad they can be for the environment and can cause cancer and all the charges that could be imposed to wean people off diesels after the years and years of weaning people onto them

I don't know how long it took them to realise about the NOx emmissions of diesels, but that is the issue afaik.

Diesels are better for climate change, as they emit less CO2, but they pollute the breathable air more.

Euro 6 engines get this under control though, so any new diesel will not have any extra taxes imposed.

Oxides of nitrogen, , and me whining on about numptys again blanking of there egr valve as well as removing dpf. Euro 6 means nothing then!

whats the difference about it all come from abomb tests in 50's60's

Sounds interesting, I'll have to watch it online. I've always disliked diesels, the noise they make alone is enough to put me off, and that was before I knew about all this DPF shenanigans.

this is why my new car had to be a diesel as i know they last a lot longer and can do a lot more miles i their lifetimes over petrols so i bit the bullet and trumped for a beast of a diesel

That's interesting, I didn't know diesels last longer but it makes sense. Is this just because they are lower revving or is there more to it than that?

I've always disliked diesels, the noise they make alone is enough to put me off, and that was before I knew about all this DPF

+1

My husband swears by diesels, I personally can't stand them

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I must admit, if I'd have had a choice between petrol and diesel, I would most likely have gone for petrol - but the amount of money I've saved at the pumps, is pretty darned substantial: a full tank in my old petrol Focus was £70-odd, with the diesel, it's now £45-ish. Both gave me 400 miles.

But yes, it's a very noisy way to get from A to B!!

:D

@B13 Noisy ?

Last passengers who asked why my Focus was so quiet (no extra sound deadning added and it's not a Titanium) - they were quite shocked when I told them it's a diesel. :)

To be honest though it's probably more the way I drive it changing gear at just under 2000rpm and using the diesel's torque to accelerate rather than using high revs; the "lazy" upchanges also help in keeping the economy at about 65mpg.

Ah, my 'car' is the van variant of the Fiesta. So it's a tin box. Worse, it's the sport variant with stiffened suspension and narrow profile tyres, so road noise is more of an issue.

(No, I don't see the logic of a sport-variant van either!!! :D )

But even without all that, the engine IS noisier than my old mk 1 Focus. Just running it on the dealer forecourt when I first looked at the vehicle raised my eyebrows.

Still love my little van to bits though!!

:)

The new-ish 2.2 PSA engine in my TXS is as quiet as the proverbial church mouse & a huge improvement on the MK 3 2.2 TDCi in my opinion.

.....travel by horse... but then maybe the methane given off by them when they !Removed! will pollute the atmosphere and we'll all be inundated in festering disease ridden piles of horse ****...

...damned if you do, damned if you don't...

" It's the economy, stupid" © Bill Clinton.

The government seem to have this script:

1. Declare current accepted technology is bad

2. Steer everyone to new emerging thing

3. Once the new thing becomes mainstream, repeat.

When most of the cars were petrol, the government sang praises to cleanliness, economy and reliability of diesels.

Now they've changed the tune and it is all hybrid and electrics,

Once electrics/hybrids/whatsnot becomes mainstream, it'll be branded as bad, awful, air polluting (directly or otherwise) and overall horrible thing that will surely kill us all.

Then they will point their finger to some other technology (hydrogen?) and declare it to be the next best thing.

This way they kill several birds in one stone (in order of importance to them):

1. Increase in sales tax

2. Economy push (production increase, employment, loans, banks, etc)

3. Meeting recycling targets

4. Getting rid of old bangers

5. Help the environment.(maybe).

Am I too cynical?

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club