Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Health And Safety Advice For Employers?

Ianb

Hey guys, got a few questions,

I'm not sure if anyone here would be able to help but it's worth a try..

Background:

As did many people, I got taught to use power tools, cutters, drills, etc at school (design and technology) and by my dad and so far through my life I've not had any near misses or anything.. I still have all fingers and no scars (from power tools anyway!)...

Dilemma: So, I currently have a member of staff who was also trained by HIS dad for many years back in his home country (Hungary) his dad is a builder I believe.. But when it comes to power tools and 'training and safety' etc... Am I able to realistically let this guy use the stuff? If I tell him to wear a dust mask, eye protection, give him the instruction manual watch over him a couple times to make sure he doesn't do anything daft and I make sure the machinery is in good nick would I be somewhat covered? Provided he is comfortable to use it that is... I would never force him to use it, or put him in a position where he'd be in trouble if he didn't etc...

Any ideas?

The law is kinda confusing on that part...

I think as an employer there is a duty of care to ensure that your employees are adequately trained for the tasks you are asking them to undertake.

Certain tools and scenarios do have legislation, but I think even things like forklift licenses are not legal requirements, just proof the employer has ensured the employee has the necessary skills.

Are you with the federation of small businesses or another body you can ask for free advice?

Good point, might give them a ring.

The difficulty I have is the training part...

I can train the guy as much as I know and as much as he knows in terms of what has gotten me to where I am now with all my fingers etc.. But I don't know whether in the eyes of the law, that is deemed sufficient due to the fact I've never had any formal training/certificates etc..

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

I'd fill in a general risk assessment and ensure the guy reads and signs it.

If he subsequently injurea himself then it's on him.

Correct PPE must be supplied by the employer (you) and maintained/replaced as necessary.

If you're not 100% on health & safety then give HSE a shout for guidance.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/

• Like 1

iirc whats needed is a toolbox talk?if its just basic type of work.

if your expecting him to use a spinner without the correct training and it goes fubared then your at fault.

but if he is a competent person and understands certain limitations on what he can cannot do then you have given him the required information your backside should be covered?.

plenty on info on the hse website.

do you use ladders?scaffolds etc these all require some training and licence etc.

what is your line of business?

hi,,, just to mention a forklift licence is a leagal requirement now,,, Operators must be trained, have a Forklift Operator's Certificate to use
a forklift and must be authorised to use it by the employer.

The Employer must keep a copy of the certificate and refresher courses must be sat at regular intervals its every 2 years where i work, in the case of some FLT jobs like warehousing and coldstorage, operators must also have a company medical at regular intervals,,, every 2 years in the pharmaceutical industry.

In the case of any MHE or any tools at all its also a good idea to have full risk assesmants and then make SOP's for those pieces of equipment and get the staff to read and sign those SOP's.

Still no legal limit or licence.

It is up to each company how they set their own policies.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetransport/faq.htm

It is the same "what is reasonable" argument about providing adequate training.

Has the employer taken all reasonable precautions for their employees safety and wellbeing.

It is open to interpretation so often better to er on the side of caution. That is why it is useful having things like federations to call on, to get an idea of what is generally considered reasonable in the industry.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club