Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thieves Targeting Keyless Cars

edd78

hi as i am due to pick up a 13 plate ford focus with keyless entry next week. i was concerned to hear that thieves are targeting these cars so was looking for advice on what to do to protect the car that i am buying from being a target from thieves.

There I nothing in afraid they use detectors which pick up the unique code from the car they can do this from a distance the computer replicates this code they take the car you can make it more difficult with a steering or gear lock but that's it

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/can-thieves-steal-your-keyless-entry-codes

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/can-thieves-steal-your-keyless-entry-codes

It can be done the manufacturers will deny this for obvious reasons

Could have just come the b&q carpark in Plymouth today, could have taken my car and the dog....

..let the fiancée drive, we got to b&q and after about 10 mins walked back to the car to find out that not only was it unlocked... She'd also left the keys in the ignition....

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

Could have just come the b&q carpark in Plymouth today, could have taken my car and the dog....

..let the fiancée drive, we got to b&q and after about 10 mins walked back to the car to find out that not only was it unlocked... She'd also left the keys in the ignition....

Oops

The O.B.D. port can also be moved & hidden elsewhere under the dash.

This problem was highlighted a few years ago on BBC'S watchdog program where i think BMW cars were being targeted so you would like to think that car manufacturers would have put things in place to prevent the problem.

There is no way you can stop them, you can only slow them down. If they want something you have, no matter how heavily protected it is they will still take it.

These low lives want easy pickings - any visible deterrent will at least deter them & maybe put them off as their main enemy is time.

hi all thanks for the reply's maybe was hoping ford would come out with a statement or something. I contacted ford but yet to receive a reply. its a bit of a dilemma on what to do so very grateful for the reply's

No car company will admit that they're security idea means the car can be stolen all of them will deny it the repercussions are huge imagine they would be liable for every keyless car stolen you wont get a truthfull answer its a fact car companies are moving away from keyless entry systems key or keyless it doesn't matter if they want it they'll get it if that means breaking into you're house for the keys they will so there's not really a dilema all you can do Is deter them on the plus side its a ford not a 80k BMW or Audi etc

The key code is a rolling code so just scanning it and repeating it wont work. BMW's and similar have weak security as they have a web interface exposed (HTTP, so not encrypted) so you can remote start them with your phone, it was this that has been hacked

Others have an easily accessible OBD port that has remote start functionality

The focus is good in that there is no function to start the car over OBD that's easy to get hold of and use, you need specific Ford software to be able to reprogram any of the security features, the normal cheaper tools wont do it

So the Focus is quite secure. It's easier to burgle your house for the key

To be honest as others have said its a bit futile...

Unless you want to go down the line of mega security etc etc, there is not much you can do... Look at everyday life.. Jewellery shops have all the protocol, a few pieces at a time, cabinets always locked, toughened glass... So now people can't really lift a few bits without being seen... So the answer? Car through the front door, smash everything and run.. Who cares if alarms go off, chaos ensues.. You go high tech, they either go higher tech or they go low tech...

Have keyless systems done away with the steering lock? If so that seems a retrograde step and a rather obvious weakness.

I'm with Mad-mole on this one if what he says is correct. I know a little about the principles of the explanation because it's used in my previous line of business and was impossible to crack

And your average thief does not has access to that technology, they still break into your house for the fob. There is an easy solution, either a) move your OBD port (mine isn't where its supposed to be) or b) fit a locking OBD Port cap or c) disable the OBD port (fit a hidden switch on one of the wires) or d) fit Armour film on the glass so they cant get in that way

Ford are pretty good in that its quite hard to get hold of the key software for them, other makes that are worth much more are very easy and cheap to get.

Solution. park next to a BMW,

as above said, park next to something worth nicking, focus isnt there first choice i doubt unless its an st version

A friend of mine gave me a spare fob for my mark 3 keyless start, I have had a door key cut. Fraud want £160 to program it to my car (That's like a £400 an hour rate!!!). I have called several auto electricians (All have said cant do the new Fords) and searched the web for a tool to program my fob for the Mk3 and have come to the conclusion that the pukka Ford software is the only way at present, there just isn't any software out there that can do the Mk3 Focus keyless ignition fobs

There is a TON of el cheapo (ie £30) solutions for programming older cars, and some new cars, especially BMW, Merc, VAG's, Land Rover etc but Ford seem to have cracked it at the moment on their latest cars. My land Rover is easy to do. I have added 2 more keys and a height adjuster plipper, using my laptop (LR only wanted £40 to add them as well)

Please let me know if there is a way as I am happy to pay to program my spare fob, just not paying a conning dealer that much for 10 mins work

as the article said the software is out there and available mate hence why new focus and fiestas are being stolen where is another guess dealers have not wanted independant companies to be able to programme there cars for years and with these thefts being blamed on crooks getting dealer software it may be that in the future only a dealer will be able to do it at there silly rates

programming a mk3 focus is a pain in the #####.ford programming software has to connect to ford for authentication etc then it knows what dealer and tech is programming key for that particular vehicle . usaully takes several attempts to work

I haven't seen any reports of a keyless start Mk3 or 3.5 focus being stolen by OBD hack anywhere, where are you seeing this? The key start ones are easy to hack as long as you have 2 keys, don't even need ODB stuff for that

The software is out there for most cars, just not for the new Focus yet. even the Russians doing the Focccus software haven't sussed that out yet. that article did not mention the new Focus. just focus and there is a ton of key programming software available for the Mk1,2 and 2.5 versions so they are probably referring to these

As Iant pointed out, Ford have been quite clever in requiring http authorisation from ford to do any work on the security systems of the current models. pain in the butt for independents as it means they have to bend over and let Ford take them if they want to offer good diagnostics and programming to their customer base, but it is a pain for those trying to hack (until you get a bent dealer, but again Ford should be able to see that all the cars getting stolen are authorised by one log on)

Also, as the keyless start cars keys are hidden deep in the fob, they cant eyeball the key and cut another. I've seen the Tibbe type keys cut after around a 1 second look at them, they cant mimic the plipper, so they would be reduced to the old brick in the window which will set the alarm off, which they don't like. Nah, less trouble to buy a £10 Yale lock electric jiggler on eBay and let themselves in your front door at 3am and pick up the keys that are invariably in the hallway

Now if I had a Beemer or VAG wagon I'd be worried, And my landrover has a disabled ODB port (that can be enabled easily for diagnostics)

Tibbe locks are easy to open anyway, I have a tool that can read the lock and unlock the door at the same time.

They are readily available on the web and only take a short time to learn how to use them properly.

Most of the problem with keyless start cars is that due to EU laws the OBD port must be accessible from the drivers seat (Ford likes to put them on the right side near the drivers door which makes accessing them without triggering internal alarm sensors too easy).

Still the easiest answer is to back up your security with a steering lock and/or move the OBD port back into the dash recesses or disable the port by adding a switch into the power supply wire.

You can buy locking OBD boxes but they require mounting to some strong structure under the dash to be effective plus they aren't cheap (but then again not as pricey as your pride'n'joy).

An duff bluetooth ELM and a couple of grub screws would defeat most of the thieves out there

I've seen a OBD lock that just wraps around the plug and secures once you've popped it out of its panel

Simplest solution, an "OBD port disabled" sticker

Just hide the port, they'll soon move on to another car that's easier to get at.

Thieves are generally very lazy and anything requiring too much effort on their part will make them look elsewhere.

My dads putting Diskloks on his cars (not Fords though)

I wouldn't worry to much, insurance is there for a reason.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club