Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long Warm Up Time.

Chris Moutray

Hi - I'm a novice when it comes to fixing cars so go easy :)

I have a 2008 1.8 TDCi Diesel Focus Estate and last week I had a coolant leak; I found a hole in a pipe at the top and behind the engine which later I discovered was called the EGR Cooler Top Hose.

I've since replaced the hose and drained the coolant from the radiator. When I refilled the coolant I had the heater blowing but couldn't find a bleed screen. The Haynes manual I have states that the 1.8 should have a bleed screw but I also read in a different forum that the 1.8 doesn't have a bleed screw.

The car seems to be running fine but I'm concerned something isn't right. I get heat coming from the blower but the dashboard temp gauge takes a very long time to show any temperature.

After a short period of time say 5 mins I get heat coming out of the blower, which seems right. But after 20 mins (5 miles in traffic), the temperate gauge on the dashboard barely reaches past the first quarter mark. But I'm sure before the coolant leak the gauge would reach the half way mark (normal) not long after starting my journey home. I've not gone on a long enough journey to see if the car reaches normal.

I know this seems silly to ask but should I be concerned about the amount of time it takes to heat up. Could there be air in the system or could the leak have damages the sensor/thermostat?

With heat coming out of the blower perhaps it's ok?

I also appreciate that its quite cold on the UK at the moment; around 6 degrees.

Thanks Chris

Although I don't own one, modern diesels do take a long time to warm up in winter, especially when in stop start traffic at low rpm. How does it fare on higher speed runs?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I had a 2006 1.8tdci and it took an age to warm up. My daily commute is around 10 miles of 50mph and 70mph constant. It would only warm up in the last 5 miles or so. Take it around the block for a few laps and see if it reaches the right temp. On another note has the coolant level dropped on header tank?

I am not 100% sure on this but I think when you don't have the bleed screw/nipple you leave the cap off the header tank and put the heater control onto the windscreen setting as its the highest point of the heater settings. leaving the cap off the header tank and leaving it to tick over on idle eventually takes all the air out the system.

Think you have to have the setting for the heater on fully hot too.

I have the same car as you and my gauge sits half way. can take a while to reach this point in cold mornings though. Plus the heater is pants in my 1.8 diesel compared to my ST.

Ok its been almost a week and I'm confident that the cooling system is working. The gauge does get up to normal mark but it does take a while - i think before the leak it was quicker perhaps because of the coolant mix 33/66 rather than 50/50 or perhaps signs that the there was a problem that caused the leak - who knows!

Anyhow thanks for your advise - coolant level is stable and car is running :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club