Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Acceleration...

InKontrol

Would there be any reason why wide open throttle acceleration is worse than partial throttle? If I put my foot down the car feels like it's hanging back and the turbo seems to spool up slower, than when I accelerate with the throttle barely open.

It's that silly 1.6TDCI French lump that should've never made it's way in to the focus...

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Would there be any reason why wide open throttle acceleration is worse than partial throttle? If I put my foot down the car feels like it's hanging back and the turbo seems to spool up slower, than when I accelerate with the throttle barely open.

It's that silly 1.6TDCI French lump that should've never made it's way in to the focus...

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Because that's not the most efficient way to accelerate a diesel engine. The throttle isn't an on/off switch. If you just plant your foot to the floor,the throttle valve opens and the engine attempts maximum fueling. If its only at low revs at the time, it will just bog down.

It happens in the 2000 to 3000rpm range where the turbo should be spinning so I'm not bogging the engine down. I find that if I have to put my foot down e.g. pulling out of a junction then I have to apply partial throttle to get the engine to rev up the quickest, whereas if I put foot to floor where you'd expect maximum acceleration it takes even longer to rev through the same rev range.

I don't think I've ever put my foot to the floor while pulling out of a junction, even when pressing on a bit. You will get a better response if you feed the power in gradually, as you have found out.

Tried it tonight and the car does seem to accelerate better when you gradually press the accelerator, but even then at the moment it's kind of like an on/off switch at the very beginning of its travel. Sometimes feels like there's no engine braking at all even when the pedal is not even touched, sort of like wants to run away at the slightest of throttle. Weird.

Try running some cleaner in your fuel. I run my 1.6tdci on only bp ultimate and it got really good acceleration. I run redex through every few months just to keep it all clear.

seems to be common problem on this engine have same problem on mine also just drive to suit it now

Definately not normal behaviour generally for modern turbo diesels, I've got the 1.8 TDCI so I can't comment on whether it's 'normal' for your 1.6.

My 1.6 Duratorq TDCi 115PS goes like hell, at full throttle, although there is no need to press that hard (12,000 miles)

Again, mines only run on the performance diesel and has archoil cleaner in the fuel. In fact I'm always amazed with the performance of this engine (OK it has a K&N and that's it)

Same here, which I found a bit off-putting at first but I have learned to drive with it now. It didn't seem as bad on other Focus cars I have driven but I put that down them possibly being different model years or engines. I also noticed the "problem" was reduced after I had the dpf taken out so that could be a factor as well.

hi,,, my 1.6 TDCI 115 Econetic pulls like a train,, and if i keep the revs up on country roads by dropping down the box it fly's, on another point if im crusing in 6th along the motorway and plant my foot i takes off like a stabbed rat its that mad,, i have even showed people,, doing 70 in 6th then say watch this, pland my boot and off it goes to 100 like a !Removed! sports car.

I only use regular diesel from Shell garage at the top of my street.

• Like 1

hi,,, my 1.6 TDCI 115 Econetic pulls like a train,, and if i keep the revs up on country roads by dropping down the box it fly's, on another point if im crusing in 6th along the motorway and plant my foot i takes off like a stabbed rat its that mad,, i have even showed people,, doing 70 in 6th then say watch this, pland my boot and off it goes to 100 like a !Removed! sports car.

I only use regular diesel from shell garage at the top of my street.

those modern ford diesel's seem to have good drive abilty unlike older ford models

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club