Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Change

Tombath10

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Petrol and I'm doing an oil & oil filter change this weekend but wasn't sure which oil is recommended? And does this engine take both fully synthetic and part synthetic?

Many thanks,

Tom

From what i know i believe its a 5w 30 and both types should be fine. As for brand it seems like its down to opinion.I used magnatec last oil change but if you have the spare pennies it seems some recommend Castrol Edge especially on older engines . Mind you having said that also see a fair number saying Asda's own brand is as good as any especially if on a tight budget.Got to be honest and say i have never stuck to one particular brand,i tend to look at the most expensive and the cheapest at the time then aim for one thats half way cost wise or slightly above and just read a few reviews to see what folk are saying.

stick to Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 A1 with the ford approved logo and you cant go wrong

• Like 1

stick to Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 A1 with the ford approved logo and you cant go wrong

From what i know i believe its a 5w 30 and both types should be fine. As for brand it seems like its down to opinion.I used magnatec last oil change but if you have the spare pennies it seems some recommend Castrol Edge especially on older engines . Mind you having said that also see a fair number saying Asda's own brand is as good as any especially if on a tight budget.Got to be honest and say i have never stuck to one particular brand,i tend to look at the most expensive and the cheapest at the time then aim for one thats half way cost wise or slightly above and just read a few reviews to see what folk are saying.

Thank you both for your replies. Do you know what the recommended amount of oil I should put in?

Thanks

More than welcome Tom.

Since they seem to have stopped doing 5l for the more popular oils get a 4l and 1l can (plastic bottle....i still call it a can....im old and set in my ways.........still looking for the gramaphone port on the stereo!!!) . Put the whole 4l in then put about a quarter of the 1l bottle and just keep checking the dipstick . I think the official correct amount is 4.3l .

Oh and one thing i learned last week ill just give you the heads up on incase you panic like i did . I did my oil change and two days later checked my oil and there was nothing on the dipstick so spent an hour looking under the engine for leaks....nothing! Seems you need to take out the stick,wipe and put it in THEN youll get the correct reading.You may well know this but the good folk here helped my anxiety so rather pass it on and bore you rather than you get the fright i did!!! :-)

More than welcome Tom.

Since they seem to have stopped doing 5l for the more popular oils get a 4l and 1l can (plastic bottle....i still call it a can....im old and set in my ways.........still looking for the gramaphone port on the stereo!!!) . Put the whole 4l in then put about a quarter of the 1l bottle and just keep checking the dipstick . I think the official correct amount is 4.3l .

Oh and one thing i learned last week ill just give you the heads up on incase you panic like i did . I did my oil change and two days later checked my oil and there was nothing on the dipstick so spent an hour looking under the engine for leaks....nothing! Seems you need to take out the stick,wipe and put it in THEN youll get the correct reading.You may well know this but the good folk here helped my anxiety so rather pass it on and bore you rather than you get the fright i did!!! :-)

Thanks again Jon,

I've checked the dipstick several times, but it's bone dry! Which is why I'm desperate to do an oil change now as I have no history of the cars servicing. For some reason the engine oil light hasn't come on (definitely not the bulb).

Have a read of this thread mate:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/68684-strange-oil-dipstick-reading/

Also in google type in ford focus dipstick bone dry and have a good read through the threads . Ok no oil in engine is never a good thing but id say if light has not come on its more likely to be to do with what many mention in the threads . oil change is a good idea at least THEN you will know the volume of oil thats in there and can check under engine for leaks if only for peace of mind.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club