Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Make Headlights Come On When You Start The Car

Msmoby

Hi, we have a Mark 3 Ford Focus - purchased in Russia in 2014 and used in Russia ..YES, Russia :wacko:

Their law now says that dipped highlights must be on - like Denmark / Sweden - all the time, when the engine is running - has been like that since 2013

Our car is like a UK spec - you must manually switch the highlights on - and we keep getting stopped by the Police, as we always forget.

Is there a simple way the Ford Dealer can modify the car to be like a Danish model - especially - as the law change pre-dated the new purchase or is it something we can do, without invalidating the warranty ?

I would ask the dealer, but my Russian is not up to that and I suspect they rub their hands when they see us coming :)

Bet you don't get questions like THIS everyday !

You could possibly rig a drl relay kit to the headlight loom?

Whaaat ?!)) Sorry you might as well be speaking Russian!

I was hoping it would just be a matter of routing the switch side of the cable to a power feed that only goes live when the ignition is on!)

Whaaat ?!)) Sorry you might as well be speaking Russian!

I was hoping it would just be a matter of routing the switch side of the cable to a power feed that only goes live when the ignition is on!)

In essence that's exactly what the drl relay would do.

Instead of it activating side lights when the ignition goes on it would activate the dipped headlight instead.

Relay kits are readily available from eBay etc.

Hi Stoney871

REALLY grateful for your patient responses.

Thanks for further explaining. I will check this out - as I'm in the UK, currently - but I am still slightly confused. The sidelights do not come on when he ignition is on with our model.

Am I being truly thick :angry:

You are correct that your lights don't come on with the ignition because it doesn't have drl's fitted.

A relay wired into the headlight loom detects the power from an ignition live source and then activates the drl's (cars fitted with drl's as standard have this relay integrated into the loom from the factory).

This is the sort of thing I am referring to-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daytime-Running-lights-DRL-Auto-switch-relay-DIM-DIMMING-FORD-FOCUS-MONDEO-/301569573415?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4636f28227

I would suggest you check with an auto electrician as to whether this would stand up to the job and feasibility.

My idea is of course only a suggested solution, you may need a more robust system.

Most of the time these relays are only good for the rating of sidelights ad opposed to headlights. However you could counter this by installing one relay per Headlight, that should allow a more rugged installation.

• Like 2

Indeed, seeing as each headlight is seperately fused that would make sense.

• Like 1

Still cheaper and easier than paying a garage for the works. Tapping the live feed for the relay into an ignition source and wiring the additional power line onto the Headlight power wire should allow for both to be catered for.

• Like 1

Have you tried going to ford and ask if its possible ?

On the Focus MK3 the Scandinavian DRL function can be activated without any problems. With the Scandinavian DRL function the headlights will be always on if the engine is running.

This function can be activated in the Central Configuration of the BCM. To activate the Scandinavian DRL function setting #16 "DRL" must be changed from "Without DRL (Standard light)" to "Always Headlights".

Changing the central Configuration of the BCM can be done with an ELM327 interface and the free FoCCCus program.

• Like 2

On my 2014 Focus Zetec S, when I leave the head lights switched on and turn off the ignition, the lights turn off automatically. When I turn the ignition on again, the lights turn on (since the switch is still left in the headlight on position). The "lights on" reminder only sounds if I turn off the ignition and have left the side lights on.

No need to do any wiring, just use Focccus software and and ELM327 to turn on the dim dip, or headlight always on function. That's exactly what its there for. End of problem and what the dealer would do

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Sorry to drag up this old topic.  What is the difference between Dim Dip or Headlight Always On settings?  Does Dim Dip put the main beam headlights on but dim like VW cars seem to?

Is it only the headlights that come on or will the tail lights also come on with either setting too?

Thanks,

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club