Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2Ltr Petrol Revs High

welderdan

hi have just done this once and posted and it disapeared! lets try again. my 2001 focus revs at 1500 rpm when started and when reved takes a while to drop back to 1500 rpm. once warm and being driven revs higher when in neutral or clutch pressed, as high as 3 or 4000 rpm. if i disconnect maf sensor the revs drop to about 900 rpm but hunts a bit. but revs up and returns to 900 rpm all be it abit slow. I have checked for air leaks and tried a different tps but no change. someone has fitted a large cone filter, not sure if this would change anything. would be greatful of some help as have just bought the car and replaced the gearbox, driveshaft, discs, pads, trackrod ends and drop links. so money is a bit short and cant afford to just change things. many thanks Dan.

Get rid of the cone filter to start with.. Or atleast remove it. Clean the MAF filter, Triple check for any leaks or damage to anything. Try cleaning your throttle body too

will have to get air filter and air box as the numpty who put cone filter on threw away. will restricting the cone filter help at all?

will have to get air filter and air box as the numpty who put cone filter on threw away. will restricting the cone filter help at all?

If they've put cone filter on that contains filter oil then it may have polluted the MAF which will need a good clean

If I was troubleshooting I'd put the stock parts back on where possible.. Just simplifies things

I am hopefully going to ford show in kent so will try to get filter and air box will let you know if it helps. Thanks for help.

• Like 1

Hi , I've tried maf sensor a proper air filter, tps, cam sensor and a bit of vacuum hose. It ticks over but when reved up the revs stay high up to 4k for a couple of mins. Any more idea's please?

hmm.. SO it now idles at the correct speed?? also, have you tried cleaning your throttle body? is your car a drive by wire throttle? if so, possibly its a fault with that?

Idle control valve most likely if its not working ull get the above symptoms

Hi, it has throttle cable. Will check throttle body and also look into idle valve. Thanks for ideas!

Have cleaned throttle body and cleaned out idle valve, but still yhe same. Also the car seems to lack power , revs a bit slow to pick up.not sure what left to try. Also does anybody know what the one way valve on the vacuum system thats on the bulk head does?

Try the throttle cable my son had similar on his 1.8 a few weeks ago and the cable had frayed inside causing it to stick but release slowly bringing down the revs disconnect it from the throttle body and work it manually to see if there any resistance in it if it is naff ever a breaker or frauds as you can't get them from a motor factor around 37 quid .

Hiya, not throttle cable have checked. Could it be vacuum valve as I not sure exactly what it does but I know theres a one way valve thats switched.

Have you tried plugging a fault code reader in yet? Didnt notice in your post that you had tried it.

• Like 1

No as dont know anyone in this area with one , but might have to look in to it.

They are less than £20 on eBay mate. Not as comprehensive as the proper garage readers but they do show up the majority of codes.

Cheers thought they'd be expensive.

Have tried a diagnostic reader and showed 3 faults, one speed sensor, two maf sensor and three air intake temp sensor which is located in the maf sensor. Have replaced these, cleared the fault codes but car still Rev's high could this be fault with ecu and is it possible to just try another ecu? Also have taken for drive and then tried diagnostic reader again and shows no faults. Could fuel pressure regulator be causing the problem? Any more ideas be appreciated thanks Dan.

Have tried a diagnostic reader and showed 3 faults, one speed sensor, two maf sensor and three air intake temp sensor which is located in the maf sensor. Have replaced these, cleared the fault codes but car still Rev's high could this be fault with ecu and is it possible to just try another ecu? Also have taken for drive and then tried diagnostic reader again and shows no faults. Could fuel pressure regulator be causing the problem? Any more ideas be appreciated thanks Dan.

ECU is linked to Clocks & transponder. Must be changed together

Hiya, also noticed when driving that although the revs sit high and dont drop when changing gear, also sit high when you dip clutch. Then pushing brake pedal makes then makes it rev to 4k and it stays there after pedal released for a few seconds. So any ideas please?

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, to let those nice people who tried to help I have now fixed this problem. It was the idle valve! Many thanks to those for sharing your idea's. Cheers Dan.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club