Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

L Driver Insurance

Turvey

What's the correct/best/cheapest way to do it?

18 year old daughter has just started taking lessons and wants to buy a small car to go out in with either her mum or(unfortunately) me to get extra practise.

We also would like to be able to use it as a second car for going to work etc

Does daughter insure the car with us as named drivers? Do I/we insure it as a second car with daughter as a named driver? Do we get insurance to cover any driver?

Any advice gratefully received.

I'm no expert on Insurance, but what I've learned from various cop shows,

If it's 'her car' she has to Insure it.....very expensive.

If it's 'your car' you can make her a named driver........cheaper.

If it's really 'her car' on 'your insurance' then you will be breaking the law and Insurance won't pay out.

Daughter as named driver is legal way to do it.

If you have fully comp for your own car you can drive her car third party anyway.

As long as your insurance allows any other car, I thought.

• Like 1

For our daughter we went through a company called collingwood they insure fully comp for 6 months at a time, think it was £300.

Insuring her car in her name with you and your wife as named drivers will be best, it lowers the premium and she earns her own NCB.

oh bring back fronting eh.

but er no insurances companys now decide there losing out on squillions.

I'm no expert on Insurance, but what I've learned from various cop shows,

If it's 'her car' she has to Insure it.....very expensive.

If it's 'your car' you can make her a named driver........cheaper.

If it's really 'her car' on 'your insurance' then you will be breaking the law and Insurance won't pay out.

oh bring back fronting eh.

but er no insurances companys now decide there losing out on squillions.

Yeah there was a lot of talk about "fronting" a few years ago because it was so common (and maybe still is). If she gets her own car then she will be the main driver of that car, and therefore she has to be the policy holder of the insurance I think.

What's the correct/best/cheapest way to do it?

18 year old daughter has just started taking lessons and wants to buy a small car to go out in with either her mum or(unfortunately) me to get extra practise.

We also would like to be able to use it as a second car for going to work etc

Does daughter insure the car with us as named drivers? Do I/we insure it as a second car with daughter as a named driver? Do we get insurance to cover any driver?

Any advice gratefully received.

Hi,

We offer a learner driver policy which can be taken out monthly, or annually.

More details can be found on this link: https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/learner-driver/

If you wanted a quote, please fee free to PM me your details I can arrange for our quotes team to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Dan.

Car insured with Mrs Turvey as a named driver, I'm allowed to drive any car 3rd party anyway so I think we're sorted.

Thanks for the info ;-)

For our daughter we went through a company called collingwood they insure fully comp for 6 months at a time, think it was £300.

Insuring her car in her name with you and your wife as named drivers will be best, it lowers the premium and she earns her own NCB.

I also used Collingwood! Cost me 155 for 4 weeks learner insurance

Yep, that's the company we used. About £400 for the year ;)

Yep, that's the company we used. About £400 for the year ;)

I passed a month after my birthday so only needed 4 weeks. Well. I had to take my test in my own car so needed another day.. so I had to buy another week.. for £55!, never had to claim either so can't comment on that!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club