Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonnet Lock Won't Open!

jmurray01

Yesterday prior to going out I thought I would check the oil and screenwash as it had been a few weeks since I last did, only to find that the bonnet lock would not open. The key goes in and it turns from side to side, but it won't pop the latch.

Last time I opened the bonnet it was a bit stiff and I really had to "wiggle" the key around to get it to turn but in the end it did, so I didn't think much of it rather than that it is just getting worn.

The car is a MK1 manufactured in the year 2000 and worse yet the MOT is due at the start of June so I will have to get it fixed before then, or they will either not be able to complete the test due to being unable to open the bonnet or will just fail it because of that.

I have no idea what drugs the designer at Ford was on when he thought "hey, lets put a key lock on the bonnet!" rather than just putting a lever inside the car like everybody else, but what is done is done!

That one doesn't seem to apply for my Focus which is a 2000 MK1 with the horizontal grille rather than the "criss-cross" style. All I can see is a "box" containing the lock and none of the internals that the other thread shows.

I tried again yesterday and it turns both ways as normal, more to the left and a little to the right (where I can feel it "hitting" the point it would normally fully release the bonnet) but just won't do anything.

Some people have mentioned removing the grille, but to be honest I can't see how that would help as I can see pretty much all there is to see with it in place, and there appears to be nothing I can do!

Try plenty of wd40 and have someone push down and lift the bonnet while trying the key back and forth, maybe slightly seized, if no joy remove the grill and undo the bonnet latch from the bonnet and go from there

Same type as the mondeo last one I did ended up drilling the the lock of two shear bolts if I remember correctly not east to dril centre punch it then go up in drill sizes a royal pia but once done can be sorted and just ordinary bolts

Try pushing the key in further whilst turning it.

We've had a few in the shop that this has worked on.

If the plastic clip hasn't located fully (some times from the factory), Pushing the key in sometimes works.

Don't force the key to turn, it will do more damage .

We've also found cutting a new key sometimes works.

Luckily they've gone back to the internal lever on the Mark 3 Focus. Although I never had any problems on my Mk2 or 2.5. But then again I changed them when they were 4 years old.

But thinking maybe a bit of a 'jiggle' may be needed as advised

• 3 years later...

Easy fix if key won’t open bonnet use a small ratchet with 10mm bit from under the car between the radiator and catch remove two bolts and drop the safety plate then the bonnet will lift slightly use a long screwdriver and push the mechanism at the bottom through the grill and the lock will fall out then use a large posy drive screw driver to turn the mechanism through the hole where the key lock was as you would if key lock was in place and bonnet will open if tumblers have gone remove them and replace lock that way you’ll still be able to use key as if lock was in place and no one will know that any key will do it unless you tell them 

• Like 1

Nothing like a good old thread revival, 4yrs old, beats the 1yr old thread in the Fiesta forum I accidentally revived yesterday!😉

Some useful information from you for anyone struggling though! 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pip672 said:

Easy fix if key won’t open bonnet use a small ratchet with 10mm bit from under the car between the radiator and catch remove two bolts and drop the safety plate then the bonnet will lift slightly use a long screwdriver and push the mechanism at the bottom through the grill and the lock will fall out then use a large posy drive screw driver to turn the mechanism through the hole where the key lock was as you would if key lock was in place and bonnet will open if tumblers have gone remove them and replace lock that way you’ll still be able to use key as if lock was in place and no one will know that any key will do it unless you tell them 

That's your definition of 'easy'? LOL

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2019 at 11:23 PM, pip672 said:

That's basically what I did on mine, though I did manage to get the grill off in one piece by slicing through the plastic screws/plugs with a chisel, which helped with access.  I never did replace the lock and cable so just carry a home made long-reach screwdriver in the boot for when I need to get into the engine bay.  There are a few threads o this subject across the forum so hopefully anyone doing a search will have a range of options to sort it out.

• 2 years later...

I'm probably a bit late to comment on this but need as much help as I can get, I own a Ford Focus Zetec (MK1), my key won't unlock the bonnet, I first thought that possibly a new key would do the trick but this has been unsuccessful, did some research and figured that it was probably the lock that needed changing, not the key, I have managed to remove the grill, but came across this guard that seems to protect the lock (picture attached) - would anyone have any suggestions on how to remove so I can gain access to the bonnet?

Ford - lock.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club