Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help, Electric Gremlins Mk2

sc008y

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem.

While fitting an after market stereo, some odd things have happened.

Both stereo fuses blew. I replaced them, no issue.

I then noticed that my check engine and handbrake light were still on as I drove off. Handbrake defdefinitely off.

The indicators appeared inoperative, nor the hazards, however they actually work, just not showing inside.

Lights on alarm not working.

Wipers, cig lighter, interior light and even the stereo work fine.

On my dash, I now have ice warning, chdck engine, handbrake light all illuminated.

The onboard computer shows everything except outside temperature.

All fuses checked and replaced where required. battery disconnected and reconnected. (Fixed my reverse sensor fault!)

Any ideas?

Edit, sorry, it's a 56 plate 1.8 TDCi estate, LX.

Check you've not disturbed any other wiring, and the connection to the cluster is ok. Plus have a look at all the large wiring plugs going to the passenger side fuse box if any of your installation was in that area.

Or could be if you've had to use some sort of adaptor lead to patch into the original wiring it's either wired in wrong or isn't the right one?

If it blue the fuse sounds like you earthed something out like trot States possible wrong patch lead

I used a patch lead to start with, but then snipped off the original Ford block after it tested OK, and soldered it to anew ISO cable.

Couldn't see any other looms in the area behind the stereo, and my installation was limited there. I only went to the fuses to replace them.

Just noted that the seatbelt and Airbag lights stay on too.

Some supplied iso leads don't match the aftermarket stereo wiring ex on the ISO you need to switch earth and lives around to match it up....ide look at the wiring loom to the stereo and compare it to the aftermarket unit

I used the wiring diagram someone put up on here. Stereo is working perfectly.

Is there no common component which links all of the affected systems?

An ECU or similar module somewhere that I may have fried?

To be honest all that's changed I the stereo so that's the issue wiring diagrams aren't always good ford can have the same colour wires but a different layout depending on the loom used and the model you'll need to check each fuse 1 by one then check the engine bay fuse box

I've checked every fuse I can find with a multi meter and replaced every dodgy one I found. Short of pulling and re-seating every one, I don't know what to do.

I agree the only thing that changed was the stereo, but I must have done something electrically in order to blow the fuses in the first place. I just need to identify what links the failed indicators.

The pcm module links everything as standard you would remove the fuse to the stereo unplug it then reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for up to 40 mins reconnect and see if all is normal if it I its the stereo wiring if not you've got a trip to a dealer or auto electrician

Fixed it. There's two pairs of wires that go into the connector. I couldn't find them on the diagram so I snipped them. Both pairs were grey and an off white.

Anyway, I connected them together and now it all works again.

Odd.

Glad its sorted yeah if you're not sure never snip the wires they are interlinked in so many ways to so many different systems

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club