Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.8tdci Starting Issue

FocusSmudge

Morning all,

For thr past three days in the early morning, ive had trouble starting my car.

The car has been starting first time but after 10 seconds it cuts out, further attempts to start the car result in the engine turning over with the ignition turned in the barrel but again after 10 seconds ish the car dies and "engine system fault" is displayed .

This morning the car won't start at all, it started and cutted out but now nothing.

Other mornings, whilst the fault is still displayed the car started but today completely dead. The glow plug light remains lit throughout all time in which the key is turning in the ignition .

Any ideas please ?

Possible fuel starvation when's the last time the filter was changed / blocked air filter / air getting in somewhere just where I would start looking can you get a scanner on it to see what the fuel pressure is would give an indication if it's fuel related .

Ford diesels are very sensitive to dirty filters and even though it is not part of a standard service I strongly advocate changing the fuel filter every year (including the filter seal as they don't seem to like being disturbed and reseated).

It does sound like fuel starvation to me so I'd get the filter, seal and fuel line couplings/seals checked for leaks and air ingress.

Also check the injector seals for perishing as well.

Another thing I should have mentioned was that trying to start the car now, the oil light is on. I've checked the oil level and there's almost no oil what so ever!

The car was serviced less than two months ago and was full.

Any suggestions how I can get it started as it's in an awkward position to move.

Quick update on this.

Had the car recovered early this morning and taken to a local garage.

Both the recovery expert and mechanic said fuel starvation. The garage it's at did the service.

Will hear back from them tomorrow.

Now I'm having a guess here I wonder if they've done what my mate did put the flow and return pipes on the wrong way he had similar probs to you but once changed around as right as rain I wonder

Thanks for the reply. Car has been running fine for 2 months though, would that make a difference?

My mate could drive his but it seriously lacked power he had serviced it himself and crossed the fuel lines over . I've had it on a mondeo where the seal within the fuel line has come dislodged on removal and has not seated correctly once put back on pia to reseat it but once done cured the problem similar again to yours and that started showing a week or two after service .dont think it will be much .read on here somewhere people having trouble with after market filters as well so another possibility

My mate could drive his but it seriously lacked power he had serviced it himself and crossed the fuel lines over . I've had it on a mondeo where the seal within the fuel line has come dislodged on removal and has not seated correctly once put back on pia to reseat it but once done cured the problem similar again to yours and that started showing a week or two after service .dont think it will be much .read on here somewhere people having trouble with after market filters as well so another possibility

Ah right, thanks - garage said they'd have a look tomorrow morning so will hopefully know by mid day ish. Will report back what the issue was.

I had a similar problem to you. Ended up it was the fuel filter seal. I had the car serviced. car ran fine for a month or so. car had probably did around 500/600 miles. Then just wouldn't start. occasionaly did start for a few seconds and died.

I didn't think it was the fuel filter due to it being changed so recently after the fault happened. We tried a few different things.

Stef on here suggested changing the fuel filter. problem was solved. hopefully its a cheap easy fix like mine was.

Alan, the symptoms you describe are identical to mine. Thanks for posting.

I made sure yhe garage was aware they had carried out thr service (they remember doing it) I mentioned how I believed the issue was fuel related and the filter should seal should be checked.

He was adamant it had been fitted correctly but at the time admitted to being busy and ahort staffed.

Will see how it pans out today.

I thought mine was fitted correctly too mate. As I say my car went for around 500/600 miles before it started getting issues.

I knew mine was fuel starvation but to be honest I didn't think it was the filter as it wasn't long fitted.

Hopefully your up and running soon mate

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club