Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise When Braking

Hudson0804

Hi Guys,

I've noticed something but not entirely sure what it is.

Heres the scenario, i accelerate spiritedly... read that as first gear accelerate quickly (say im trying to get through some traffic lights0.

The light changes forcing me brake (hard but not skidding etc) as i brake i dip the clutch, as the engine revs start to slow with the cars momentum also slowing i can hear what's sounds like a whirring kind of noise (not the turbo ;)).

I can repeat this most times when breaking hard dipping the clutch at high revs to stop.

Sorry for the vague description of this.

If it helps it sounds like the noise comes form the passenger side front.

just out of interest what happens when you brake hard without the clutch but before it tries start to stall?

I'm not sure, i'd have to check. I am (ive been told before) a little early on the clutch - but old habbits die hard.

Whats your thoughts behind your question?

I would say it's the abs anti lock braking pump kicking in you don't have to be in a full blown skid sometimes kicks in if detects one wheel slipping ie braking on a gravel or loose surface ... or if it does it when coming to a low speed rolling stop could be and indication of a faulty wheel speed sensor or a broken reluctor ring which is the stepped ring the sensor measures

Ok so I tried to repeat this with the clutch up. Nothing. No noise.

Could be with the clutch engaged the engine is help braking the car and so the front wheels are less likely to momentarily lock and kick the abs pump in .....only a guess though

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club