Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Remove Air Conditioning Dryer

Iregore

Start with the basics, I have a 2004, 53 plate Ford Fusion 1.4 TDCi 2. I bought this last year and the air con didn't really work well then. I went to get this recharged a month later and it failed the pressure test. So recently I got it tested with the dye and they told me there is a leak in the condenser and quoted me to replace the condenser and dryer. However, my brother is handy with cars, so we looked up the process and cost to do it ourselves, I bought the Haynes manual, new condenser and dryer and we started the job.

We managed to swap the condenser yesterday afternoon, it was a pig to slide out the old one without taking the radiator out but we managed it in the end by rotating it towards the passenger side, then slid the new one in the same way and got it all reconnected. However the dryer is now causing problems. We can't seem to remove the pipes from it. We have looked over the new one and they should be push on as far as we can tell, we have the clips off but they are not budging. I think this has possibly never been replaced since the car was new so is potentially 11 years old and we are guessing seized on. Is there a special tool to use that makes it easier or a method that people seem to find works? We don't want to put clamps on it for fear of crushing the pipes.

One final thing, once the dryer is replaced, how soon do I need to get it recharged? If I get it recharged a couple of days after replacing it (obviously never switching it on until then so it is not pumping the air in the system around), should that be alright or does it really need recharging straight away like within a few hours?

There is a special tool for removing the pipes, its a 3/4in quick release coupling remover, your local motor factor should have them as there used for fuel lines in a smaller size.

As for replacing it, get it replaced and regassed within a day preferably, and who does the air con recharge, get them to vacuum the system for at least 30 mins to draw out moisture in system before recharging with air con gas, most air con machines now do all the procedures automatically, vacuum, check for vacuum leak, recharge with gas and extra air con oil 30ml for condensor and 90ml for dryer.

Thanks, I think I have found the tool, a spring lock removal tool, about a fiver for a set of four sizes online. Should be a straight swap out by the look of it then. Is this just a round magnet that attracted the spring outwards to release it? The tool really doesn't look like much.

not magnet, it pushes the end of tool in and pushes spring in connection outwards enabling the connection to come apart

Thanks for all the help, ordered a set. Once they arrive I will book the air con recharge for a day when I can do the work in the morning and recharge in the afternoon.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club