Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stiff Calliper Piston

john j

Hello members, I have a Fusion 1.4 tdci 2005. NOT the later model with the squarer mirrors that was introduced later that year. I bought a set of new brake pads and discs to fit. But I couldn't get the caliper piston to retract to make space for the new pads. It seems incredibly stiff. But I dont think it could be seized as braking has been ok, not pulling to one side. The method I was using to push the piston in was levering a piece of wood against it. This has always worked on the 03 Fusion I used to have. This is the first stiff one I have experienced. I know I could probably use a gclamp but it seems so stiff that I might brake something by forcing it. Does anyone have any ideas.

Crack the bleed nipple off and see if that improves pushing back, if your having to resort to g clamps then its stuck for a reason. Corroded in the bore or piston. Forcing it back with a g clamp probably will damage the seal as the obtruction scrapes past. You got nothing to lose trying though. Check for any leaks afterwards by keep ing substantial pressure on for a few minutes.

Thanks for your reply, Haynes manual says sometimes "considerable" force is needed to move piston. Dont know why that should be so. Will take on board your comments.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club