Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Timing Belt Kit And Water Pump

Dee_82

Hi everyone, hope you all had a lovely new year!

just a quickie

I don't suppose anyone here knows who makes the ford timing belt kit, is it Gates or Dayco?

Since ford just tried to charge me 220 quid for the kit, (ford parts uk was 155) I decided to see if I can do it myself with some new tools.

Ive pretty much convinced myself its easy enough assuming the Crankshaft bolt comes out and the crank / cam shafts are locked

I noticed on eBay that "genuine" ford timing belt kits seem to be branded Gates or Dayco so thought id ask some folk who will probably know before shelling out a fortune for something that costs half as much else where.

:)

cheers chaps

D

as far as i know its gates they make a good belt

• Like 3

It is an easy enough job, a little time consuming if anything. Remember not to use the locking kit to hold the cams/crank while you undo the bolts - you will bend the pins and cause damage.

• Like 1

There easy enough to do. We are here to help if needed.

• Like 4

cheers chaps

Gates has a part KP15598XS

just need to get the finis codes for the replacement bolts

as for the crankshaft bolt, yeah, I'm to insert a flywheel locking tool in to the back of the engine but ive yet to find out where that is and how it goes in, details on that part are a little sketchy, ive seen a youtube video with some guy removing part of the exhaust to get to it but it didn't show or describe anything.

http://replace-timing-belt.com/how-to-replace-timing-belt-on-ford-focus-1-6-tdci-2004-2011/

at step 15 I'm assuming its good practice to mark the crankshaft should it move after the locking pin is removed?

The flywheel locking tool goes in a hole that is just above the exhaust downpipe dpf where it goes horizontal, think theres an old engine about somewhere and will take photo and you will see.

• Like 3

Ford always replace the crank bolt so ide change it to be on the safe side but ford belts are gates

• Like 1

yeah, ill get the finis codes and order the bolts from ford.

Cheer Ian, if you can that would be helpful, but if not no worries your description will help :)

Pin goes there.and then fits in flywheel, but that's missing on this engine

post-59356-145192954919_thumb.jpg

post-59356-145192956777_thumb.jpg

post-59356-145192959477_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

that's perfect Ian, many thanks!

Think that's accessible without dropping the DPF to Flex segment of the exhaust?

cheers everyone, parts ordered

going to phone ford tomorrow for the bolts

is it worth replacing all the bolts?

Crank (m12 x 50) 1487861

Cam (m10 x 25) 1820108

idler (m10 x 1.5 + Nut?) 1508411 + 1479832

tensioner (M8 x 60) 1640986

I would have thought the crank bolt would come in the timing belt kit?

• Like 1

the ford one at 215 came with it, the motorcraft one at 170 didn't according to the chap on the phone, the gates one doesn't mention it at all

for the sake of 40p or what ever it is, I figured I may as well get one

the ford one at 215 came with it, the motorcraft one at 170 didn't according to the chap on the phone, the gates one doesn't mention it at all

for the sake of 40p or what ever it is, I figured I may as well get one

Good luck getting the crank bolt for 40p :lol:

• Like 2

I was expecting 2-3 quid but the chap a ford said 40p, plus vat

I'm starting to wonder if ford just make up their prices, ford parts uk are cheaper for these kits, other times like when I got the rear disc plates, they were half the price at the dealer compared to online

I was expecting 2-3 quid but the chap a ford said 40p, plus vat

I'm starting to wonder if ford just make up their prices, ford parts uk are cheaper for these kits, other times like when I got the rear disc plates, they were half the price at the dealer compared to online

well I hope you do get it at that price then. Last time I went to the dealer for a bolt for a 1.25 Fiesta it was about 3 or 4 quid - still, on the cost of the job overall its nothing.

I don't understand why all timing belt kits don't come with a new bolt! The last gates one I bought ford a Ford did.

• Like 1

The last timing belt kit I bought came with

Timing belt

Camshaft pulley bolts

Tensioner

2 different Crank bolts

Then I bought the aux belts

1x PAS belt

1x Alternator, water pump belt

Then the water pump

Parts came to around £120 including tools, but that was for the 1.4 duratec.

Ian helped me by providing an in depth guide (basically step by step instructions) and instant replies to any issues I informed him of! Can't thank him enough!

evening all, another question, is there a reason the crank sensor/pulley is removed in the guides, videos don't seem to bother, looks like the belt would easily slip out from under It once the tensioner is removed.

evening all, another question, is there a reason the crank sensor/pulley is removed in the guides, videos don't seem to bother, looks like the belt would easily slip out from under It once the tensioner is removed.

Does the pulley sit in front of the timing belt cover? If so, thats why. So you can remove the cover and then belt

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

yeah the crank pulley for the aux belt sits in front of the cover but under the cover is the crank timing sensor / pulley where the actual belt mates with the crank pulley

Dee happy New year mate.

I will be going mytiming belt this year so reading your progress in this thread is very good starting point.

I will maybe try to take pics at the different steps and make a timing belt guide so it can maybe help others but donkey us know how you get on.

Good luck. Hope the new tools come in handy lol! :)

• Like 1

yeah the crank pulley for the aux belt sits in front of the cover but under the cover is the crank timing sensor / pulley where the actual belt mates with the crank pulley

Oh so you're asking why you need to remove the actual crankshaft timing pulley?

I found it was removable when doing my belt, but I just left it in place.

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Oh so you're asking why you need to remove the actual crankshaft timing pulley?

I found it was removable when doing my belt, but I just left it in place.

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

Exactly, presumably there is a reason why they say take it off.

Happy new year sonic, I'll be taking pictures along the way so hopefully this will go smoothly! To be honest, apart from the timing pulley question I've researched this to death, it actually looks pretty straight forward albeit a long process

timing belt.pdf

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club