Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Strange...

jmurray01

Given that I will hopefully start driving the Nissan this weekend, I went onto my mother's Aviva insurance policy (which I pay for) to get a quote for adding me as a provisional driver to the policy, and the results confused me slightly...

If I were to add myself effective TODAY, it would be the following:

post-15085-0-60488600-1452108701_thumb.p

But, if I were to wait a month and make the changes effective from February 6th, it would be this:

post-15085-0-35936600-1452108677_thumb.p

Do they really quote almost £30 less just for amending 30 days in advance? If so why?

In any event, I'm not waiting until next month to drive so will be paying the higher figure, but it is rather frustrating that if I had made the changes LAST month (in advance) I could have saved money.

That is odd.

Perhaps Aviva have found that provisional drivers during January, are more likely to present greater risk than from February onwards.

That's because you're paying one month less of the increase over the remaining period of your policy

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

That makes far more sense :)

Better off with a stand alone provisional driving insurance

Problem is, I intend on passing my test within 3-4 months so signing up for a 12 month contract wouldn't be wise, as the cheapest for provisionally driving my mother's Primera may not be the cheapest for driving my own (hopefully Focus) car with a full licence.

I'd rather just put myself on the Aviva and once I get my full licence find the cheapest independent policy then.

Problem is, I intend on passing my test within 3-4 months so signing up for a 12 month contract wouldn't be wise, as the cheapest for provisionally driving my mother's Primera may not be the cheapest for driving my own (hopefully Focus) car with a full licence.

I'd rather just put myself on the Aviva and once I get my full licence find the cheapest independent policy then.

Provisional insurance is usually just month by month, give Collingwood provisional (was cheapest in my day) a try.