chris301up

Fiesta Glow Plugs Removal...??

Just a quick question

I have been having starting problems with my 2008 Mk6 Fiesta 1.4 TDCI. When cold the glow plug warning light rarely illuminates (seems to be quite a common issue) but then it takes many, many turns of the engine before it finally starts.

I have done the dashboard self-test and all warning lights are working as they should, removed the glow plug relay, checked it and that is fine, so I suspect that one or more of the glow plugs could be the issue?

I know access to allow checking of these can be made by removing the air cleaner, but what I really want to know are these removable without removing the inlet manifold?

I have searched on-line but cannot really find any answers to this, and the Haynes Manual I have only give basic details on how to access them. I does however mention that the inlet manifold should be removed to gain better access.

Before I investigate further can anyone advise?

Its probably a bad injector which leaks off too much fuel meaning that the pump can't provide enough pressure in the system to start up - suggest perhaps a leak off test on the injectors.

Thanks for the information and I'll bear that in mind.

I will say I have no problem starting when the weather is warmer, even just a little!

I still need to know more about glow plug removal first before looking elsewhere

Thanks for that.

I will have a look at them over the weekend if the weather improves

It will also mean you can check over the injector seals - they usually have issues sealing after a while which will make a 'chuffing' sound, you can also check around the injector to make sure there isn't any diesel around the base of the injectors either.