Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrading audio unit?

Nick Dent

Hi - I have a 2004 Fusion 3 Mk 1 with a 6006 head unit with 6 CD changer (see photo).  The radio reception isn't the best on these units and having driven a ford with a Sony unit recently the signal to noise threshold was a lot lower so the FM reception much better.

The question is - despite the fact I would have to cut the dash to fit and make it look good afterwards - can I retro-fit a first-generation Sony unit (see photo) to my Mk 1 Fusion 3?  The last time I changed a stereo was when all the wires were done manually 1 by 1 and obviously they all have multi-plugs these days.  If dimension-wise it would fit would the connecting block be the same?  The 6006 unit is split into three so I would have to cut the dash I know.  Are the units an identical size?

Many thanks in advance,

Nick.

image2.PNG

image1 (1).PNG

IIRC the connectors on the back of the radios are different.

I believe the standard radio has the connectors that split into 3 parts whereas the Sony radio needs the quadlock type.

ford-5000-6000-7000-autoradio-connector.jpg

images1-1.JPG

Thanks. Presuming the units are of a same standard size (are they?) is there a connector converter of some sort that would do the job?

The radios are a totally different fit unfortunately.

You'd be best off getting an aftermarket double din radio plus loom adaptor relevant to your car and radio choice (remember the steering remote interface module too) and a fascia adaptor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celsus-Ford-Fusion-2002-2005-Car-Stereo-Double-Din-Fascia-Trim-Panel-/261357971736?hash=item3cda262918:g:1b4AAOxydlFSs4Id

It will involve cutting out the horizontal seperating bars on your existing fascia though.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club