Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Focus MK3 Engine Light On

Spikecast

Hi,

Mrs was driving home this evening and the orange engine management light was stuck on (lit orange). I've phoned my local garage but he can't look at it until monday. I can access the test menu in the car is that likely to tell me the fault code? If so where do I look? He seems to think it could be a sensor. Car is running absolutely fine, checked oil/coolant levels both spot on and engine appears to be ticking over as normal. I'm worried about driving it but I need to get to work tomorrow. For info I have had the recall checked relating the coolant but mine didn't require it (or it had been done prior to purchase). It's a 2012 1.0 125 ecoboost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks. :)

well to help we would require the dtc codes given theres 50 plus sensors it could be anything the test menu may give you a dtc which gives a rough idea as to what it could be

Hi, I'm totally new to the DTC codes etc, can you advise if it starts with "DTC" ? I can access the menu and report back.

Found the codes:

DTC #01 C232_00

DTC#02 C233_00

DTC#03 C53B_81

Any help would be great, if its something that makes it drivable then thats some good news lol. thanks

I can find no record of any of those codes I believe they are engineer codes and not actual dtcs so I'm afraid I'm not much help

OP has asked same question on overclockers.co.uk/life/motors

No answer there too

Best to disconnect the battery.

leave it for half an hour 

reconnect. take car for a drive to recalibrate ecu

and then check for DTC codes again

Jamie

Thanks mate, I'm getting it onto a diagnostic machine at garage later today who won't charge me a penny to check the fault. I will report back with their findings. :)

• Like 1

Got it to garage today (one of three I tend to use) and they hooked it up, came up with a fault on one of the sensors which he suspects is down to dodgy fuel. He said they are sensitive to it and if it detects anything the warning light pops on. Advised to me to keep an eye on it but nothing to worry about at present, light has been removed and it hasn't popped up after an good run back home. :)

Hi Nick

Dodgy Fuel ?

Does the 1.0 GTDI have a Fuel Filter ?

Jamie

Had this a few times now. Friends have filled their cars up and the light has come on. Not just Fords. I've cleared the codes and they never came back.

You only really need to be concerned when the light starts flashing. Then you must stop the car.

• Like 1

Maybe I spoke to soon, left the car for a few hours and started up, light has returned. Looks like back to the garage Monday morning :(

Sounds like a Lambda or NOX Sensor is on its way out. It wont affect the running or the emissions but gets on your nerves.

Thanks mate I'm just hoping it's something simple like that. Any idea what they would cost to replace inc labour? 

Just rang the garage and he said the fault was showing lambda sensor. He's going to take a look at the car monday and run some further tests he said it could be anything from the sensor/dodgy wire/spark plug misfiring or bad fuel. Regarding the sensor, would people advise I replace it with a ford part or would Bosch etc be okay if it ends up being the part at fault?

What engine is your focus? If it is the 1.0 then its not unknown to have the upstream lambda sensor fail.

If it is that sensor, then its going to need replacing soon.

It is a wideband lambda sensor and is critical in correct fueling not just for economy but to prevent engine damage under high load

Hi yeah it's the 1.0 ecoboost. What am I looking at cost wise?

No idea on cost of the sensor, should imagine it's a Ford only supply, easy enough to replace as it's right in front as you look at engine, 5 mins to replace.

Thanks, I will report back on monday once I've been to the garage. 

Left it with garage to replace. Ford weren't interested even though I only bought the car in May. Wanted £85 just to diagnose the fault. 

You only have 6 months to have things rectified on a used car and as yours is over 3 years old the manufacturer warranty has expired.

At least you now know what it is and can get it sorted :)

Yeah, I just feel aggrieved that I've not even had a it a year from when they sold me it. Left it with my garage to sort so I will report back, I assume that diagnostic is pretty accurate? 

All the garage needs to do is check the resistance of the heater circuit in sensor

• Like 1