Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My brakes feel abit spongy?

MPX309

Ok, I know this normally means break fluid. . . or bleed? I'm not sure. this is the first time on the mk7 something like this has happened so I'm not sure how soon to address it.

shall I leave it before it gets worse or shall I get it seen to immediately? The inner car noob is coming out. 

When was the brake fluid last changed and is this a sudden thing, or gradually getting worse?

Hmmm I'm not sure. I may need to check the FSH. Hasn't been done since I've owned the car. and I've done about 10k in it. It's currently at 24k

Brake fluid should be done every other year, so if yours is 2012, it should have been done in 2014, it will be due again this year.

The problem is that it is not included in the standard service costs so many people skip it.

• Like 2

Thanks for clearing that up. It's probably due then, seeing as it's 2016 now. (Yes it's a 62 plate)

• Like 1

dont mean to ask a daft question but are you pressing brakes when the key is on the off position? 
try it them you start engine to check buddy as the pump needs to be active :) just making sure as a know someone recently thought the same and turns out it was this and they never noticed this before lol 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Paramanic said:

dont mean to ask a daft question but are you pressing brakes when the key is on the off position? 
try it them you start engine to check buddy as the pump needs to be active :) just making sure as a know someone recently thought the same and turns out it was this and they never noticed this before lol 

Hehe, good question. No I live at the top of a steep hill. . . so using the breaks is literally the first thing I do when using the car.

• Like 1

*brakes...

But yeah, sponginess is air in the hydraulics.  Seems odd on a fairly new car though, as above the fluid change often gets missed for years and people don't notice.  Have you checked the fluid level?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

*brakes...

But yeah, sponginess is air in the hydraulics.  Seems odd on a fairly new car though, as above the fluid change often gets missed for years and people don't notice.  Have you checked the fluid level?

Not yet, it's not seriously spongy, but enough that I noticed. I've booked the car in to get the wheel fixed and the aeroblade sprayed on Monday, so will address the brakes next month. . . (lol priorities) 

• Like 2

Does anyone know how much roughly I'm looking at to get this done. . . Also does it need to go to days?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club