Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Painted Wheel cleaning

NobbyNobbs

Hi all, 

I was just wondering what you good people use to clean your wheels. 

I have a Black edition so it has the very shiny gloss black wheels. Do you have any recommended products you use to clean this type of wheel? 

Or do you just use normal car shampoo and elbow grease. 

Thanks for any info. 

I use a mild wheel cleaner, let it soak for a while & agitate it with a brush. Then wash it as normal with my car 'shampoo'. 

Give them a good clean then seal them with something like gtechniq C5 wheel armour, will be a lot easier to keep clean after that.

• Like 2

I need to take mine off because I realised how dirty they get behind the spokes! But what I do is just get either a spray/car shampoo/(Wonder Wheels as a very last resort!!) to make sure they're sparkling - I will then dry them all off with a microfibre cloth/drying towel. Then I just use some Poorboys Wheel Sealant (its like a pink mousse) - apply it like a wax and let it go 'foggy' and then polish off like you would anywhere else. If you put 3 coats of Poorboys on it repells a lot of break dusk and brings them to a real good shine. Also after this first time, if you wash your car regularly its a lot easier to clean the next time and you only really then need to apply 1 more coat etc. 

Hi all, 

I was just wondering what you good people use to clean your wheels. 

I have a Black edition so it has the very shiny gloss black wheels. Do you have any recommended products you use to clean this type of wheel? 

Or do you just use normal car shampoo and elbow grease. 

Thanks for any info. 

Inspired Automotive Wide Stance diluted down sprayed on liberally, left to soak & agitated where necessary. Then pressure wash away.

Don't forget to clean & scrub your tyres too prior to applying a dressing :)

As above, prep the wheels fully and seal with Gtechniq Wheel armour or another ceramic/nano coating!

The value for money on poorboys is good. But the durability compared to newer products is pretty pathetic.

Wonder wheels in the most part is highly acidic so personally, I wouldn't use it or recommend it.

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GingerFlame said:

Inspired Automotive Wide Stance diluted down sprayed on liberally, left to soak & agitated where necessary. Then pressure wash away.

As above, prep the wheels fully and seal with Gtechniq Wheel armour or another ceramic/nano coating!

The value for money on poorboys is good. But the durability compared to newer products is pretty pathetic.

Wonder wheels in the most part is highly acidic so personally, I wouldn't use it or recommend it.

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

Yeh I tend to stay well away from Wonder Wheels unless there is a bit of tar I cant remove or whatever, then I will just use it on that one area to remove it. I really do need to get some better wheel cleaner as opposed to shampoo!

Not tried the GTechnic Wheel armour but I take it its quite good? (Just seems expensive for 15/30ml!) 

• Like 1

Hi all,

Not exactly related but I've found a great place if anybody wants any Vapour blasting or polishing doing in the High Peak!

www.vaquarestorations.co.uk

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

Yeh I tend to stay well away from Wonder Wheels unless there is a bit of tar I cant remove or whatever, then I will just use it on that one area to remove it. I really do need to get some better wheel cleaner as opposed to shampoo!

Not tried the GTechnic Wheel armour but I take it its quite good? (Just seems expensive for 15/30ml!) 

Like all ceramic coatings, theyre not cheap.

Put into perspective. I buy gtechniq coatings in 30ml bottles unless it's a 4x4 or van.

A 30ml bottle will do a full car on average 1.5 times! That's a lot of wheels! And considering how durable it is, it'll last you a lifetime (till it expires on the shelf ;) . Probably best coating the whole families car so you get your moneys worth

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

7 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

Like all ceramic coatings, theyre not cheap.

Put into perspective. I buy gtechniq coatings in 30ml bottles unless it's a 4x4 or van.

A 30ml bottle will do a full car on average 1.5 times! That's a lot of wheels! And considering how durable it is, it'll last you a lifetime (till it expires on the shelf ;) . Probably best coating the whole families car so you get your moneys worth

How many times do you do it though? I guess its 2/3 coats per wheel, and it'll do my car for 1.5 washes? :O Thats not a lot is it? I guess its a lot more durable than the Poorboys?(The smell always sells me on their products, they're usually quite good but admittedly the wheel sealant probably isn't the most durable but looks nice and smells nice in the tub!) :biggrin:

6 hours ago, JSMarsden said:

How many times do you do it though? I guess its 2/3 coats per wheel, and it'll do my car for 1.5 washes? :O Thats not a lot is it? I guess its a lot more durable than the Poorboys?(The smell always sells me on their products, they're usually quite good but admittedly the wheel sealant probably isn't the most durable but looks nice and smells nice in the tub!) :biggrin:

1.5 Washes :w00t:, Got it on Red edition, it lasts for 1 to 2 years. have a look on http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/c5-wheel-armour

26 minutes ago, paul950 said:

1.5 Washes :w00t:, Got it on Red edition, it lasts for 1 to 2 years. have a look on http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/c5-wheel-armour

Leave to dry for 12 hours without getting wet? Do they make a version we can use in the UK then?! :whistling:  I may get me some of this, so 15ml I guess would suffice on my little fiesta. 3 tea spoons doesn't seem like it would cover 4 wheels though! 

It lasts for 2years plus!

The paint coatings last up & beyond 5 years! :)

Take the wheels off late evening, prep & apply. Leave overnight, cured around dinner time 👍 heat helps the curing process

Thanks for all the replies sorry I have left the reply so long I have been working in somewhat of a data black hole for a few days. 

Some great info here

23 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

It lasts for 2years plus!

The paint coatings last up & beyond 5 years! :)

Take the wheels off late evening, prep & apply. Leave overnight, cured around dinner time 👍 heat helps the curing process

The 1 to 2 years is from Gtechniq data sheet (but expect it to last longer), I also had the C1 Crystal lacquer applied and yep it comes with a 5 year warranty and it is so easy to keep the car clean and shiny now :smile:

I applied C1 & Exo v2 to my fiesta after I corrected it and its the best money I've ever spent. Cost me around £45 on trade.

Once I've had the wheels powdercoated again I'll be protecting them 😃

56f95c3895385_ImageUploadedByFordOC14591

2 years and just jet washed followed up by a polish with "Greased Lightening Showroom Shine" once a week.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club