Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for some advice on apparent battery failure

Linux

I bought a brand new Fiesta Zetec S in July 2014 and on Wednesday when the start/stop kicked in the car completely died and wouldn't start again.

I managed to jump start it and get it down to Fords who said the battery had failed but it's only covered for 12 months so it'll cost me £230 to replace.

I picked my car up and got a quote from a local garage for £150, I've been driving it round today and it seems to be fine I'm not sure the battery has even failed.

I'm not really sure what to do from here, has anybody had anything similar happen to them ? I don't even know why I have to pay for the battery when the car comes with a 3 year warranty.

Just looking for some advice on where I go from here.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Linux said:

I bought a brand new Fiesta Zetec S in July 2014 and on Wednesday when the start/stop kicked in the car completely died and wouldn't start again.

I managed to jump start it and get it down to Fords who said the battery had failed but it's only covered for 12 months so it'll cost me £230 to replace.

I picked my car up and got a quote from a local garage for £150, I've been driving it round today and it seems to be fine I'm not sure the battery has even failed.

I'm not really sure what to do from here, has anybody had anything similar happen to them ? I don't even know why I have to pay for the battery when the car comes with a 3 year warranty.

Just looking for some advice on where I go from here.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

While that's all unfortunate I'm sure that you'll find that there are exclusions for 'wear out' parts like the tyres, the brakes and in this case the battery.

Anyway, £230 sounds entirely unreasonable; it has to be a battery specifically rated for stop-start use and these things get a harder life and only get a relatively short guarantee, but that tends to be two or three years. I've seen prices around  £135 - £160, so, given the likely capacity of the battery for your car, even your local garage is probably at the top end of the price range.

As to whether the battery has failed it really is rather difficult to say anything constructive. You don't say what happened, give any voltages or any of that kind of thing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

While that's all unfortunate I'm sure that you'll find that there are exclusions for 'wear out' parts like the tyres, the brakes and in this case the battery.

Anyway, £230 sounds entirely unreasonable; it has to be a battery specifically rated for stop-start use and these things get a harder life and only get a relatively short guarantee, but that tends to be two or three years. I've seen prices around  £135 - £160, so, given the likely capacity of the battery for your car, even your local garage is probably at the top end of the price range.

As to whether the battery has failed it really is rather difficult to say anything constructive. You don't say what happened, give any voltages or any of that kind of thing.

Thanks for the reply.

Basically what happened was I drove it for 5 minutes and stopped outside someone’s house, the engine switched off because the stop start was enabled and when I pushed the clutch in for the engine to restart nothing happened, it said manual start on the display and when I turned the key all I could hear was a clicking noise, it was completely dead. I left my car where it was over night and it took a good 10 minutes to jump start it in the morning, then I drove it to Fords and they told me the battery had failed.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club