Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering wheel not centered after tracking and balancing

Timbo343

Hey everyone.

I'm not an active member and only come on here asking for advice so here i am asking for advice. I've got a 60 plate fiesta and I've been having a bit of trouble with steering wheel wobble and vibration. After having the fronts balanced up it still had the vibrations so i swapped the backs to the front and this cured the problem. After inspecting the tyres which were heavily worn on the inside shoulder on both sides it seems the left alloy is slightly buckled which has been giving me problems. I got the tyres replaced on the back and i thought would be the end of it.. but no, the car came back not feeling my car and found that the steering felt light and heavy at the same time and the steering wheel is round to the right by about 5 - 10 degrees so if i put the steering wheel dead straight so that the volume and cruise control buttons are inline with each other the car verges to the left. I sent the car back for tracking however now its all tracked up correctly the steering wheel hasn't changed, its still 5 - 10 degrees to the right. I jumped on the motorway yesterday to see how things were at speed and at one point the motorway verges round the left slightly and whilst going through the corner the steering wheel was straight and the car took the corner. Surely if the steering wheel was straight the car should have gone straight.

Can i do this my self by adjusting the toe rods or does a garage need to do this? I don't want to keep going back to a garage as they cant get it right, i'd rather do it my self.

I have seen this article on line http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749585 which shows what to do. Surely its just a case of making sure the steering wheel is dead straight and turn on rod one way and the other the otherway.

Thanks

any company worth a passing of wind in the wind, should ensure the steering wheel is locked centrally before touching the tracking.

Take the car back and advise them of the error, and they will need to correct it.

• Like 2

LOOOL. Mine was like this too, I went to another place n got it done then and it's still slightly out, but I can't be bothered to do it again.

Mines been done twice and the wheel is still slightly off as well.  :sad: 

Once had tracking done at kwik Fit and they adjusted only one side making the stearing wheel 'off', idiots wanted to strip my stearing column down to centralise it!!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

We do tracking at work and I have to do my share of them, it's actually hard to get a modern car with electric steering instead of hydraulic to track perfect. Getting the wheels set is easy, getting the steering wheel and the wheels to match is a pain and we set it and road test and then track and adjust again, this is done as the machine takes all the readings, shows you what they are and then asks you to centre the steering wheel, it then shows which adjustment is needed to get the wheels to match the steering wheel, from the previous road test you can then adjust out this problem, 

it takes a bit of time and effort to get perfect which often doesn't happen at tyre centres 

many people think there car drifts to the left but this is often the camber of the road for drainage

• Like 1

Had new shocks and lowering spring installed a few weeks back and sure the steering wheel points to the right slightly when straight. Gunna get the tracking and camber checked anyway as I'm sure it's out slightly