Do Not Sell My Personal Information

low fuel economy

cyberbob69

Right guys, I've got a 2012 1.6 diesel Zetec S. I've had it about a month and I'm getting around 41mpg around town. It was supposedly serviced when I bought it.

It's also quite sluggish pulling away in 2nd and 3rd if I change gear as soon the the gear indicator tells me, It really struggles to pull. So I have to rev past the gear change point by at least 400-500rpm before I can change gear. As soon as I get above 2000rpm it pulls nicely but it just struggles between 1600-2000rpm.

Thinking about getting a k&N air filter see if that helps.

Any thoughts?

The reason why I think I should be getting more mpg is, my brother in-law has a 2013 1.6 diesel and his a driving instructor and he get around 55mpg with pupils driving it.

It could be a blocked/stuck open EGR valve, the 1.6 TDCi is known for its economy even around town (as well as other issues and problems), have you checked the air filter has been changed, has the fuel filter been done as well?

Wish mine did decent economy... :dry: 

But it should pull before 2k rpm, it does sound like either the EGR valve or the VNT vanes sticking.

My uncle has a diesel fiesta and said it gets broken in around 50-60,000 and then you'll see the mpg increase. I have the 1.6tdci and am currently getting 48-50mpg and 57 when I do motorway. I'm currently on 47 thousand and just had a major service so hopefully mpg will increase soon. As for yours 41 sounds way to low. Is that the mpg youve worked out or the one on the display cause I find the two arent always the same. 

Also never listen to the gear chance indicator, that's set to optimise fuel economy and if like me you don't want to drive like an old lady then you need to forget it exists. It tells me to go into 5th at 40 whereas id wait til 50-55 before going into 5th. 

Yeah I am going off what the car MPG is showing, I brought it from ford they serviced it for me. I have got warranty on it, I might raise my concerns with ford. Hope my warranty covers this. Will check the air filter as soon as I can, they should tell me if they did a decent service or not.. The car has just done 43k.

I'd work out the mpg yourself just incase your display is really far off. On a previous car mine was off by 8mpg. I'd imagine anything that's wrong will be covered by warranty though so best to just take it in for peace of mind. My car is also a 2012 1.6 diesel and I've just had the 4 year service done, when I checked on ford etis as to what service was needed at the 4 year stage it was a major service so if you have bought it from a ford dealer yours should have just received a major service with all filters having been replaced. 

Mine trip computer is usually off by 10% so when it says the car is doing 63mpg its actually doing around 56mpg using a brim to brim measure.