Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

water leaking into engine

Viper2k16

Hi everyone I have been having problems with my ford focus 2005 1.6 basically water has been getting to the engine at first we thought it was from the wiper jets but after closer inspection by mechanic water has been leaking from the coolant and flooding the spark plug chamber due to engine core plugs does anyone know this to happen to them and how much it costs to repair the damage thank you

engine.jpg

If it's the core plugs you could do it yourself and save £'s as the core plugs themselves won't cost much.

ive bought the core plugs for pittance from a ford official parts dealer but ive been told its a long winded job?

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 11:45 PM, Viper2k16 said:

ive bought the core plugs for pittance from a ford official parts dealer but ive been told its a long winded job?

The root cause is the washer jets on the bonnet, very common problem as the rubber deteriorates 

some bathroom silicone around them under the bonnet will prevent any further water getting in there. 

The rear spoiler can also leak the to deterioration of seals around the bolts I've siliconed mine before it began 👍

• Like 1

ive got someone to check it out a mechanic and we cleaned out the engine with the hot air and he noticed afterwards water coming back out of the core plugs inside the engine

You'd need to take the cam cover off to get to the core plug but it doesn't take long to get one out and replace it. A garage should do it easily and I would think well within an hour. (Have replied to your PM Viper2k16.)

• 1 month later...

I have a Ford Focus MKII 2006 1.6 Petrol and my car was initially making popping noises and a groaning noise when accelerating and eventually my local mechanic found fluid in the Spark Plug holes. This noise has since disappeared (mechanic removed the fluid among other things) but I've now noticed the coolant level is dropping quite quickly so there is probably a leak somewhere even though mechanic raised my car on a ramp and didn't find anything.

So I probably have the same issue as you, did replacing the core plugs resolve this issue? If so how much was the repair (parts + labour)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm worried it might be a costly fix!

• 1 month later...

i have 2 seized plugs that wont budge i tried and a garage has and my ht leads are white/beige over.  when the garage tried to move the plug today and couldn't they first said core plugs leak water?

whats a core plug and is this correct and could this cause fluid to leak in there to cause 2 rusty plugs, can it be easily fixed by yourself.

i know from today my washer jets are leaking tho onto the plugs,

A core plug is simply a blank plug that fills a hole left by the original casting process.  Yes they can leak, not sure how easy to replace on this engine.

I had exactly the same issue on my Fiesta though, but it's now dry in there, so I don't know whether it was a core plug or if water got in from above somehow!!  My plugs were rusted in but I did manage to break them free with a lot of patience!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club