Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reattach rear-view mirror?

bgowland

I have an R-reg (1997) Fiesta and I've managed to knock my rear-view mirror off. If anybody can advise on the following, I'd be grateful...

1. Previously attached to the windscreen, it has come off with no damage to it or the windscreen. It seems to have been attached with some sort of black mastic which has simply given way. Can anybody advise what sort of compound this is and where I can purchase some?

2. Before reattaching, it seems sensible to clean the remains of the old mastic off. I can easily scrape the mirror 'foot' with a knife or similar but don't want to damage the windscreen. Does anybody know what sort of solvent might remove the residue from the screen safely?

Many thanks in advance.

Brian

I have an R-reg (1997) Fiesta and I've managed to knock my rear-view mirror off. If anybody can advise on the following, I'd be grateful...

1. Previously attached to the windscreen, it has come off with no damage to it or the windscreen. It seems to have been attached with some sort of black mastic which has simply given way. Can anybody advise what sort of compound this is and where I can purchase some?

2. Before reattaching, it seems sensible to clean the remains of the old mastic off. I can easily scrape the mirror 'foot' with a knife or similar but don't want to damage the windscreen. Does anybody know what sort of solvent might remove the residue from the screen safely?

Many thanks in advance.

Brian

1. You can usually get sticky pads from places like Halfords that will stick it back on and hold well when I have used them in the past.

2. For getting the stuff off the window try simply your findernails at first as no chance of damaging the glass that way although it can take a while. If it is too thick and wont move try carefuly trimming the stuff down with a sharp knife and then remove the last bit with you fingernails. Sounds like a pain but ussually once you get a bit seperated the rest comes off easily if you take it slow.

yeah, s spirit or brake cleaner on a cloth after getting worst off with blade.

Dont use the sticky pads, they just aint man enough.

You can buy the proper glue from good motor factors, works ace. Not as expensive as two stupid pads for 6 quid either!

Piggy :)

yeah, s spirit or brake cleaner on a cloth after getting worst off with blade.

Dont use the sticky pads, they just aint man enough.

You can buy the proper glue from good motor factors, works ace. Not as expensive as two stupid pads for 6 quid either!

not too sure about getting the old pad off but Halfords do sell the glue for sticking the mirrors back on IIRC its £4.49 and i think its made by loctite

glue much much better.

You do have to be patient till it sets but it will work.

Try first, using somthing like a hairdrier or carefully with a hot air gun, warming the old pad/glue up a little, will help it along.

Also warming (only warming or you will bust it!) the glass area before applying new glue.

All you need to remove is a good sharp blade to get worst off then use a pad/cloth with spirits to remove residue, gota be spotless and grease free to reattatch new.

Thanks for all the replies, tips, ideas etc.

I have a local Halfords plus a few good independent motor factors so I'll have a scout around this weekend.

Cheers,

Brian

• 11 months later...

Another vote for the special mirror glue. Evidently, it uses UV light to harden. Normal glues are weakened by exposure to UV light over time.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club