Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whooshing noise and other issues

lambie413

Hi guys,

First time posting on the forum. Never had the need before as I've always found what I needed with a search.

During the summer I picked up a 56 plate S max 1.8 for the school run. It has always had a whooshing noise over 2000 revs so I decided to check out all the hoses by getting underneath. I couldn't find any obvious splits but i did spot one hose covered with oily residue. Not sure what the part is but I have attached the picture of the hose and the part it is coming from. Could this be causing my noise?

While I was underneath I also spotted a lot of oil at the bearing pictured on the drive shaft (the nice shiny part because I cleaned it). This is directly below the oil filter so I'n not sure if this could be a sign of something untoward or of oil left behind from the oil service before I bought it..

There was also some evidence of a leak at the gearbox side of the shaft although this looked quite old and dried out.

Any advice on the hose and whether I should be concerned with the other potential leaks?

Thanks!!!

IMG_20161029_140525.jpg

E73675.jpg

Hi I'm new too on here but ill try and help, I've just put an engine in one of these so i'll do my best to help you. 

the oil 'leak' you have photo'd from the under side looking up is basically nothing if theres a split in one of those pipes or its damaged / perished its not going to give you a whooshing noise. these are just breather pipes no pressure involved really.

your most likely going to get whooshing from boost pipes (under pressure) or induction pipes (under vacuum). 

the boost pipes on these can be particularly difficult to check.

there is one thats almost certainly 'un seen' if you follow the rigid stainless pipe from the front of the gearbox, over the top of the gearbox to the rear of the engine bay there is a short 90 degree piece of rubber boost pipe about 2" diameter that would be worth a check over its back right of the engine bay

failing that, and carefully checking all other rubber boost pipes have a careful check over the intercooler (follow the boost pipes to what looks like a radiator at the front of the car) (thats the intercooler) Its not un common for these to be damaged by stones / debris  / corrosion or just split under pressure. 

it can also help if you put something or someone on the accelerator pedal to hold the revs where the noise is present while you look but watch out for moving belts and pulleys!!

good luck!

Whooshing noise will be when your turbo kicks in ever time,

the pipe with the oil over it remove it as you should find a split in it they can be hard to find.

if it not this pipe then it's definitely an intercooler or turbo hose split 100% 

i had whooshing on my car when turbo kicking in and it was a split 90 degree turbo hose.

Hi guys, 

Thanks for all of your advice on finding the split. I checked all of the hoses connected to the intercooler and turbo but no obvious splits. 

While digging around I did, however, find what may be the source of the noise. The pipe coming from the air box is split where it joins the engine block. It actually pulls away quite a bit. 

I have made a short video to show the split. 

Anybody seen anything like this before and confirm this could cause the whooshing/whining noise? 

Thanks ! 

Screenshot_20161030-161955.png

• 3 months later...

We had the same thing on ours, when the whoosing sound happens is there extra dark/black smoke from the exhaust? Ours was overfuelling when the noise was happening, this makes diesels potentally run too hot.

Ours was the large hose turbo to intercooler, ours was just under 10yrs old

• 2 years later...

Help! I have 58 plate Ford smax. Diesel. Was driving around on holiday when heard a whooshing noise when accelerating over 40mph, then the car just lost power and decreased in speed. When it did stop I couldnt turn the engine back on. Was eventually towed to a local garage. Diagnostics test haven't shed any light. The removed all injectors and sent them all for testing. 3 of the 4 needed replacing. Charged me £950 so far and the car still wont run. In fact the engine will only turn on when deezee start is sprayed somewhere in the engine. Anyone had anything similar?? Trying to avoid paying for further repairs but at the moment my car is 300 miles from where I need it at home. 

• 1 year later...

Hi did anyone ever get to he bottom of the whoosing noise? Did anyone have any issues with a leak in the gasket? Mechanic has checked and doesn't think it's the turbo?