Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Vice Screw Clamp Balljointed Foot - Are they available?

GMX

The ball jointed clamp foot on one of my portable vices has suddenly broken off within the joint.:sad:

I'd assumed I could just another generic one with a M10 screw hole in the ball, to reattach my clamp thread to.  Stanley who made the vice, don't seem to have a parts division now.

Furniture risers are similar but they have threaded studs: not threaded holes as far the ball type goes.  The fixed leveller riser has holes as well as studs; but look too flimsy to become a clamp foot.

Anyone know where I might get one?  Or is it a case of  cutting off, boring and tapping out a suitable sized stud type?:unsure:

I think it a case of cutting off, boring and tapping out a suitable sized stud type never seen them on sale

:sad:

38 minutes ago, dezwez said:

I think it a case of cutting off, boring and tapping out a suitable sized stud type never seen them on sale

:sad:

That seems to be the way to go.

I guess I am the only one who thinks of repairing a broken clamp foot:unsure:

I did find eventually (on page 38) of Google search a manufacturer, who can supply me with a minimum quantity of 100K with a 3 month lead time, in China:laugh:

throw away society we live in :sad:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stef123 said:

Should have bought a Record/Irwin lol.

Indeed, all my other bench vices are, and have not had anything fail on them

I was wrongly lured by this one's ability to swivel and rotate in three planes and yet be portable. 

This is the second time something has broken on it.  The main vice screw sheared, under very little tension.  Which I replaced with an M16 high tensile steel bolt for now

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GMX said:

Indeed, all my other bench vices are, and have not had anything fail on them

I was wrongly lured by this one's ability to swivel and rotate in three planes and yet be portable. 

This is the second time something has broken on it.  The main vice screw sheared, under very little tension.  Which I replaced with an M16 high tensile steel bolt for now

cheap junk, that probably wasn't cheap lol

I know of folk who have completely destroyed old Record ones and Irwin have accepted a warranty claim for replacement.