Sign in to follow this  
stef123

When Arnold shark fit a timing belt

Recommended Posts

Changed the timing belt and water pump today on a Seat Ibiza 1.4 16v.

it would appear that 4 years ago Arnold shark made a mess of it! The timing is one tooth out. The chamfered mark on the pulley should line up the small mark, 4V. It may have moved slightly before I took the pic but it was exactly one tooth out. 

The second pic with the tipex mark highlights where it should be positioned.

So take what you will from a main dealer! 

Some extra pics just for reference. The full Gates timing belt kit including waterpump, 2 belts. 2 tensioners and 2 guide pulleys (1 of which is not fitted on this variant) was around £90.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd never use them for anything, let alone a timing belt change.  An independent mechanic is always better, as long as they are competent and honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that why they have so many cheap newish cars for sale nowadays? Do they secretly pass on problems to unsuspecting car buyers simply because they are too clueless to fix the problems themselves? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Incontro said:

Is that why they have so many cheap newish cars for sale nowadays? Do they secretly pass on problems to unsuspecting car buyers simply because they are too clueless to fix the problems themselves? lol

I think it's simply they don't care lol. It's all about the accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, iantt said:

should go better now!!

To be honest it's hard to tell, it's just had a service/plugs too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stef123 said:

The most underpowered 1.4 of all time haha. Can't argue though, it's been a very reliable car. 

Is it yours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Is it yours?

No, the Mrs. 

Ive got a real weapon Jamie lol. The caravan isn't mine though before you mention it lol 

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a motorbike person, but that does look impressive.

As for the caravan, well, if it were yours I would approve given the name... :wink:

WP_20160420_16_59_07_Pro.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jmurray01 said:

I'm not a motorbike person, but that does look impressive.

As for the caravan, well, if it were yours I would approve given the name... :wink:

Well you should be lol. It looks a bit different now with the extra decals and some additions to it. It was literally about 20 miles old in that pic. Ain't no shiny bits on those tyres now! 

What name.. Haha

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Well you should be lol. It looks a bit different now with the extra decals and some additions to it. It was literally about 20 miles old in that pic. Ain't no shiny bits on those tyres now! 

What name.. Haha

 

Quasar, the trim-level of my 405... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, stef123 said:

No, the Mrs. 

Ive got a real weapon Jamie lol. The caravan isn't mine though before you mention it lol 

image.jpeg

Very nice:smile:

Is that your dog looking out of the awning window?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, iantt said:

that photo reminds me of my gsxr days

Don't tell me you've given up the bikes Ian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep, unfortunatly. wish i hadnt though. 2 dodgey knees made riding quite uncomfotable after 30 mins . so my last bike was 10yrs ago. did the fast car thing after but it wasnt the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iantt said:

yep, unfortunatly. wish i hadnt though. 2 dodgey knees made riding quite uncomfotable after 30 mins . so my last bike was 10yrs ago. did the fast car thing after but it wasnt the same

Unless its a supercar nothing else comes close lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, iantt said:

yep, unfortunatly. wish i hadnt though. 2 dodgey knees made riding quite uncomfotable after 30 mins . so my last bike was 10yrs ago. did the fast car thing after but it wasnt the same

You want some Metacam for that, it did wonders for Brandy's hips and knees. 

it was a human medicine long before it was used in the veterinary world

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this