Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power loss 09 1.6 tdci

BadLuckGuy

Back again with another problem! I so wish I could contribute something decent and positive , but every few weeks I've had nothing but trouble with my 09 1.6 tdci.

So the last problem was gear box. Had that changed 2 weeks ago. Been meaning to take it back as there's a screech/ clunk like sound when lifting the clutch in lower gears.

But that's the least of my worries now. It's totally lost power. It still drives. But there's no power even when putting the foot down. Hills and overtaking are extremely difficult. On the motorway I can gradually build up to 70 but takes much too long. The engine management light is on too.

BTW my back box is very rusty as well but i've been told it shouldn't cause any issues just yet.

Any ideas on what this could be? I've spent near enough £700 on fixing problems and servicing since buying it in Dec.  Might have to get rid of it for spares 😭

sounds to me like it's gone into limp home mode. you need to put a fault code reader on it. on my 2007 1.6tdci it was showing a fault code for low fuel pressure. replacing fuel filter fixed it.  when it went into limp mode I would turn the engine off and restart it, it would then drive normally for a short while and then go into limp mode again.

I found on mine in limp mode it was slow, like yours (which is like all cars when they go into limp mode to try to protect the engine)  and if I revved the engine in neutral it would not go above 3000rpm. 

your might not be same problem of course but you need to put a fault code reader on it to start the process of finding problem.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, isetta said:

sounds to me like it's gone into limp home mode. you need to put a fault code reader on it.

Cool thanks - here I go again. Praying to all the gods - mainstream, popular, not so well known, all of them - that it's not an expensive job. I may as well have bought a newer model from a Ford dealer what this is costing me!

I'd go get the fuel filter changed as one of the cheapest options to go for £20 DIY or £40-£60 to have a garage do it for you

• Like 1

I suggest you check fault codes before changing fuel filter in case something totally different.  whilst it might sound a cheap easy job to do the fuel filter, having done one of these myself I can tell you they can be very difficult to get the car running again due to the difficulty in bleeding air out of the diesel pipes once air gets in there from changing the filter.

I would hate for you to spend an afternoon trying to get it running again after changing the filter and then when it does start you find it made no difference to original problem.

Fault code readers are cheap eg. on eBay - I have one that connects to laptop usb. you can get bluetooth ones to read on your phone. readers with built in displays cost more.

• Like 1

Thanks Ryan but I think Isetta is right. Not expensive to find out what the fault is. And if it isn't the fuel filter, it might be cheap but that's  £20 and time wasted.

I'll get one ordered off amazon. Pumpkin seems to be popular and reasonable around £11 for the wireless one I think it was.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club